twenty six

Zayn pushed the bowl of dog food in front of Teddy with a concerned face. For two days now, he had been refusing to eat anything she gave him. Even when she tried to surprise him and give him a little table food, he refused it and went away from her. She thought he was just being stubborn, but now here he was and not wanting to eat anything she was giving him.

"Come on boy. You have to eat. Why aren't you wanting to eat?" He got up and gingerly walked to the other side of the kitchen away from her. She didn't know if he was in pain or just not wanting to be bothered with anyone.

"Alright then. Fine. The food will be here and the water too. If you ever feel like eating, then you can." She stood up and dusted off her white skinny jeans. "I'm leaving. I'll be back later on tonight." She reached out and grabbed her purse from the kitchen counter, then looked at him once more.

Something was terribly wrong with her baby. And she wanted to know why he was suddenly losing his appetite.

*

*

*

"Girls, it's probably not a good idea to drink stuff like this on a Tuesday night. We all have to go to work tomorrow."

The young bartender sat one shot glass of liquor in front of each of them.

"Oh come on V. Its only one shot." Lara encouraged.

"I know. But still... I don't want to end up drinking too much. I already have a drink."

"A few shots won't get you drunk. Plus the little liquor you drink, you'll just sleep it off tonight. So it's no big deal. Just drink the shot."

She looked at Natalie, who quietly picked up her own glass. "I don't know..."

"Oh Veronica. Please don't be a spoiler. I thought you came because you wanted to go out for drinks. Well that's what these shots are for. Please don't tell me I just tricked a guy into putting us on his tab for nothing. Please don't."

Zayn groaned and then frowned at the thought of her friends thinking she was spoiling their night. Sure, she agreed to come out with her friends, but she didn't come to drink a lot. she just wanted to enjoy their company, seeing as she hadn't gone out with them to a place like this since the night before she kissed Harry for the first time ever. Basically all she had anticipated was to have one drink and a little conversation with them. What she did not expect was to be asked to drink shots or to feel like she was ruining their good time. She wasn't prepared for either of those things.

After enduring Lara's impatient look a little longer, she finally gave in and threw her hands up. "I guess I'll drink a few. But at the first sign of me getting anywhere close to drunk, I'm done alright?"

"Sure. I can live with that."

"So can I. Because that's what I'll be doing too." Natalie added.

Zayn reached for her glass, then scolded herself for not being firmer with her decision. She should learn to stop giving in so easily. She was much better than that. The three of them turned up their glass and drank it all down at the same time. Lara and Natalie cheered afterward, but Zayn was too busy adjusting to the small burning sensation in her throat to do that.

"Hey bartender, pour each of us three rounds. We're celebrating Veronica's new promotion tonight."

"What?" Zayn asked. "But it's not official until after next week."

"That doesn't matter. It's just as good as done. Now come on. Start having fun."

The bartender moved fast with their request and pushed their due amount of shots in front of them.