Chapter - 27

Adiraj's sat in the dining room sipping his coffee going through the files his assistant had sent him the previous day. He had woken up early today, hoping to finish all the work before Tamanna got up. He knew she didn't complain but leaving her alone time and again to attend work related matters when he had brought her for a holiday was something he felt guilty about.

He took a sip and leaned back in chair to admire the view outside the window, his mind wandering over to the events of last night. The riveting conversation he had with his father.

Flashback

"Hey dad. Why didn't you ever remarry?"

"Adiraj, are you stoned?"a very groggy and confused voice greeted him from the other side of the phone.

"Did I wake you up? Where are you?"

"You haven't called me up for all this chit chat, son. So just spit it out?" Snapped Ranveer Singhal, who was perplexed with the idea of his son calling him up in the middle of the night to inquire about such silly things.

"Well I just asked you? Why didn't you ever remarry after mom left?" Adiraj spoke again slowly.

"Is everything alright.Adiraj? Are you alright?" His father sounded genuinely concerned. Never had his son ever spoken to him about his wife. She had always been an unspoken taboo between the father and son. And today when out of the blue when Adiraj called him to make such inquires troubled Ranveer Singhal.

"Yes, dad. Of course I am alright." He chuckled to hear concern laced in his father's voice.

"So what brought this on."

"Will you answer the damn question?"

"Language son." His father reprimanded him in a harsh tone," and about remarrying? Well I didn't want you to have a step mother. As simple as that."

"You mean you did that for me?! Why?" Adiraj was dumbfounded by this astounding confession.

"I knew how your mother broke your heart when she left without even meeting you. I never wanted you to go through all that again." His father stated as it was the most normal thing any father would have done.

"And why didn't you ever tell me this?" Adiraj wanted to know.

"You never asked." Mr. Ranveer Singhal replied casually still wondering what had brought this on.

So many questions going through his mind. Never had he thought his father could have made such a huge sacrifice for him, because the father he had come to know was a cold hearted, manipulative businessman without feelings. But these revelation of facts were starting to change his perception of his own relationship with his father.

"I knew that girl would make you into a decent man my boy." His father's laughter broke his chain of thoughts.

"Huh. Who?" Adiraj was totally confused by what his father meant as he had missed most of the conversation for past few minutes.

"Your wife, you dimwit." Chuckled Mr. Singhal," Seriously tell me, are you high?"

"Come on that dad, enough with your jokes." Adiraj muttered, " how did you know it was her?"

"I am your father, son. Give me some credit. I know things about you even before you say them out loud to me."

Adrian smiled as he heard his father say it. May be it was true, he thought of all the times his father had bailed him out of situations. His father had always been there when he would call. Yes, as cold and stone hearted as a man could ever be but he had been there.