Chapter 20 - Blossoming Desires

When Tamanna finally ascended the grand staircase leading to the ballroom of the their house she could see the party was in full swing. It wasn't a huge gathering just a few business partners and financiers associated with the heritage villas project. She could sense her mother's disapproving look for being late when she was the hostess as she greeted her guests.

"Hello Mrs. Donovan. How are the girls? I heard their recital as a grand success." Tamanna greeted an elderly lady. She had memorised all the guests that would be attending the party and their personals as well. A habit she had learnt from her mother.

"Oh! How lovely of you to remember that dear. You are truly a gem." Mrs. Donovan smiled back, "also I must commend you on this lovely party you assembled. Not may ladies can pull it off, having spent such little time in the circle, if you know what I mean." She winked.

"Oh! Thank you Mrs. Donovan. But I did have a lot of help." Tamanna smiled back as she lead mrs. Donovan to her group of ladies. Tamanna exchanged pleasantries with all the other ladies present making sure that each one felt that she knows them personally well.

Having done her first round of greetings Tamanna moved towards the bar section to get a glass of lemonade to soothe her parched throat. All through this time she could feel Adiraj deliberately avoiding her and making his rounds as Ria followed him much too close for Tamanna's comfort.

'Why that little slut never give up now, does she?'Tamanna gritted her teeth as she watched, 'But somehow he doesn't seems to mind that.' Tamanna muttered to herself as she turned her back to the crowd focusing on her drink. She was about to a sip when she heard her mother

"Now now. Tamanna. I thought you were better than this." Her mother's voice interrupted her peace.

"Just what do you mean, mother?" Tamanna irritatedly turned around to face her mother who was standing with her arms folded across her chest and a smug expression on her face.

"Or rather don't bother." Tamanna tried to dismiss her mother when her mother retorted.

"I believe Ria is the one who truly deserves the credit her. She was the one to be toiling throughout the day while Tammana you were busy shopping with your friends." She accused.

"What? Really mother? I mean... I.... Why do you hate me so much?" Tamanna asked totally exasperated.

"I don't hate you, my dear. I just want you to be perfect like Ria. You could atleast try a little harder you know." She smiled at Ria who had joined the cornversation by now.

"You know what? I don't care about your opinions anymore. So for once in your life leave me alone." Tamanna bit out in a controlled voice so as not to cause a scene.

"Well suit yourself. I wish I didn't have a spoiled brat like you." Her mother dramatically sighed and left.

" You shouldn't talk to your mother like that Tamanna. She only means well for you." Ria pretended to care while her eyes reflected the mockery.

"Save your words, Ria, for the time when someone is around to be fooled by them. And why are are you still here?"

"You know you are simply jealous because your mom thinks that I planned this party." Ria said with an artful smile.

"Is that so?" Adiraj had materialised behind them . Though he knew that was a lie he decided to play along simply to rile Tamanna.

"I am eternally grateful to you then Ria." Adiraj hit Ria with his charming smile that made her blush profusely batting her lashes at him.

"Well then m'lady, I think I owe you the first dance." He held out his hand looking directly in Tamanna's eyes. For a moment Tamanna thought he was asking her and was about to place her hand in his but then stoped short as Ria took his hand and he led her to the dance floor to open the dance for the evening.