Shattered Violets~40

40

Fuck, I didn’t want to admit it, but it was easy to fall into a daily routine. Thankfully, Damon kept his promise and didn’t push a sexual relationship but he did demand that we ate dinner together and spend time getting to know each other in the evenings.  I was relieved that he was busy during the day attending to business matters, which kept it out of my way most of the time. He spend most of his days in the city, doing god knows what.  Part of me hoped he was fucking his assistant, to keep his urges off me.

He tried to be romantic, so we’d spend the evening walking in the gardens or sit back in one of the smaller sitting rooms, just talking. He had this bad habit of holding my hand, which always made my body stiffen from his touch.  I was shocked to find out that Damon was a talker. He wasn’t afraid to let go and didn’t hold anything back. He told me about his childhood, his family, including his hopes and dreams. He’d ask me questions I didn’t want to answer, so I kept my reply simple. The last thing I wanted him to know was how I dreamt of Angel and couldn’t wait to get away from him. Then there were those moments when everything seems peaceful between us, and I could almost let down my guard enough to believe I could fall for him. Well that was until the evens of the past weeks flooded back to me, and I remembered that I’m being held here against my will.

The one thing Damon talk most about was his childhood. It seemed that he had a loving middle class family, but never felt like he measured up. He spent the summers working, putting away money for college, but would spend the weekends camping with friends and a week at the beach with his parents. I laughed when he told me about his camping antics and hanging out with his friends. Still it seemed that Damon wanted more out of his life than what his parents provided. He went off to college and majored in Business and Finance; graduating with high marks. Still school didn’t stop him from working two part-time jobs to keep his school debts down. Once he graduated, he took a position with my father’s company, working quickly up the ranks. It didn’t take him long to become my father’s right hand man. I remembered him during those days.  I think I was just 14 or 15 years old at the time. Damon, had started working for dear old dad a few years before my mother passed away, and I had known him as Kurt back then. I remember how I would become unnerved by the way his gawked at me.  I didn’t know it then, but I know it now, Damon was and is obsessed with me for some unknown reason. I had many different views on why, but each one left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Still, when I found out his birth name was Kurt Damon Rubenstein; I found it interesting.  I did find it interesting that it was because of me that he changed who is was. I noticed the boys I’d bring home, how they were young, fit, stylish, and your typical high school jock. He wanted to be that for me, to win me.  He knew that I would never love let alone take a second look at a wimp like him. So he set off to transform his looks and stature in society. He was also aware that my father wouldn’t allow me to marry a no name like him. It took time, but once he transformed into this new man he set out to be, he took his mother’s maiden name Hannon, and started going by his middle name.

He went on to tell me about how he saved every penny, until he had enough to buy into some stocks that my father had recommended to him. When those stocks rose in price, he sold them, making over five-hundred-thousand dollars. Slowly, he began buying more stocks at a high profit rate, until he had the funds to purchase his first company. The company he purchased is the one that my father was now after. I couldn’t help but see how everything has come full circle.

Damon wasn’t the only one to demand my attention. I truth was, as much as I tried to avoid my father, he always seemed to find me.  I couldn’t believe what a nasty old man he had become. It’s hard to believe that as a child he was always so light hearted and happy. Granted he was busy with work and gone a lot.  Still he always made time to talk to me, listen about my day’s activities or just read me a story. It’s sad by true, he’s still mading time for me, but it was to tell me what a disappointment I am to him. How he had “such high hopes for my outcome in society.”