Shattered Violets~34

34

Growing up at the estate allowed me to navigate the landscape without worrying about hitting a dead end and being corner by the assholes Damon sent after me. I could hear their heavy shoes hitting the crushed quartz as I jumped over a low hedge and ducked behind a rock wall.  Peeking out, once I believed the coast was clear, I headed the opposite direction those douches went making my way through the garden maze through to the back of the grounds. I knew that Jose spent a lot of time the potting shed, so I was praying he was there. 

Within a few moments, the shed was before me. It couldn’t have been for than a few yards ahead, so I took off from behind the bushes that were shielding me, making a mad dash inside. Slamming the door behind me, I braced my back against it; trying to catch my breath. Scanning the interior of the tiny box, it was clear that Jose was not inside waiting for me liked I had hoped.  Heaving my tired body off the door, I made my way around the tiny enclosure to see if Jose had left anything behind for me.

Luckily, I spied a small, triangle shaped perfume bottle on the handmade potting bench. Under the pretty little bottle was a torn piece of paper. Picking both the bottle and the piece of paper up, I examined the glass by moving it around in my hand and holding it up to the light. I watched as the sunshine breaking through the glazed glass from the high windows cast a pink glow around my hand. It was eerily beautiful.

After a few moments, I set down the bottle and examined the piece of paper. Reading Jose’s broken English sent chills down my spine.  The message was clear and I knew what I needed to do. I just wondered if I had the strength to actually pull this off.

Placing the bottle between my cleavage, I made sure it was nice and secure. I figured no one should be looking down there until I got up to my room and hid amongst my other bottles of perfume I assumed would still be on my vanity. Taking a deep breath, I began to search the room for something to destroy the note from Jose. The last thing I wanted was for him to be implemented in anything.

Taking a Bic lighter from the toolbox on the potting bench, I lit the small flame and placed the note underneath. Watching the orange and yellow flames dance around the paper turning it black, I let the ashes fall to the dirt floor of the shed.  Taking the toe of my shoe I scattered the ashes and ground them into the dirt.

Making sure one last time that there was no evidence that Jose had left me anything I patted my breast to make sure the bottle wouldn’t slip out. Finally, opening the shed door a crack, I peeked outside. Unfortunately, the fuckers that Damon had sent out to retrieve me were close by. They really had no clue how to sneak up on someone.

“Go around to the other side dude. I’m sure she’s in that shed?” I heard one of them tell the other.

Sucking in my breath, I fully opened the door. I figured either way I had to go back to the house; so why not let them look like they did their job.

“There she is!” The both made a beeline for me.

I stood my ground, not running; which seemed to confuse them both. They looked at each other, then at me.

“Well?” I held out my arms.

Like Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb the both looked at each other once again and shrugged their shoulders before walking the remaining few feet to close the distance between us.

“Mrs. Hannon, I hope you don’t make this a habit… running off like that.” One to the over grown tools told me.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “I’ll try not to… but I can’t promise you anything.”  I mean who did these fuckers think they were talking to? Some hood rat.