Chapter 30

It was December 31st. The day after Shelby's funeral. I said goodbye to my family, and flew out to Denver again. We had until January second for our break. Then, we would start the tour back up again.

The plane ride was fairly quiet. I was depressed the entire time. I didn't feel like moving. What would my life be like now without Shelby's homecoming to always look forward to? Even if it took a few years. We were both really close. I curled up in my blanket.

-------------------------

*Flashback*

"Shelby! Shelby!" I cried; jumping on her bed.

"What?" She groaned, getting her seventeen year old self up. I was a small eleven year old. Skinny as a stick, actually. I hadn't reached puberty, and skating was the only thing that I cared about.

"The letter came!" I cried, holding out an envelope in front of her. It was four o clock in the evening, and Shelby was enjoying a nice day of rest before a huge tournament the next day; missing a whole day of school.

Shelby sneezed and opened up the letter. My thirteen year old brother came in with a hockey stick. Eight year old Mckenzie was following behind him with a Barbie doll.

"Open it!" Mason cried, in high cracky voice. He was having a hard time going through his voice change, but he was big and muscular, strange since he was only 13.

"Ok, ok, calm down bro." She said; ripping the envelope open. She unfolded the letter, and quickly scanned the paper. Everyone was dead silent.

Suddenly, Shelby got up and screamed. She dropped the papers, and I watched them as they fell onto her bed. Mason and I exchanged glances, but then picked up the sheets of paper. We slowly scanned them. Then I raised my eyebrows, after realizing that I had the first page.

"LOOK!" I said, shoving the paper at Mason.

"WHAT?!" Mackenzie cried, standing on her toes to read over his shoulder. "What does it say?!"

Soon enough; Mason widened his eyes and gasped. He flung the paper to the ground and swung me over his shoulder; spinning around. He and I were yelling and cheering.

"Tell me what it says!" Mackenzie cried; almost sobbing.

"I MADE THE OLYMPIC TEAM!" Shelby cried, running into her room again and grabbing the papers to give to mom and dad. "I'M SO HAPPY I COULD FAINT!!! AHHHHHH!"

------------------------

Yep. That was the day, four years ago, that Shelby made the Olympic team. Since, she's been training hard to play.

"Are you ok?" Asked Liam, coming over to me with two cans of Sprite.

I sniffed, trying to hold back tears. "I'm fine." I said.

He sat down next to me and uncapped the sprite. It made that popping snap, then the fizzing. He poured some in my plastic cup, then placed it on the tray in front of me.

"Thanks." I said, wrapping the blanket around the both of us. Liam grabbed it and sneezed in it.

"Oh, gross!" I cried, putting my hand in front of me. He chuckled.

"Sorry." He said.

"We're landing in five minutes." Said Lou, calling from behind me.

I sighed, and buckled my seat belt. It was going to be a hard few days for me.

----------

"C'mon, Hayley." Said Zayn, grabbing my arm. "It's New Year's Eve, just come out with us."