Rumor Has It

I woke up the next morning to the sound of Ashley singing. Oh, did I forget to tell you? I made her record herself singing the song she wrote and send it to me. It is now what I hear when she calls. I smile before answering.

“Good morning baby.” I answer.

“Good morning. Did I wake you?”

“No, I need to get up now anyways and get ready for school.” I say throwing the covers off me and getting out of bed.

“Well... The reason I was calling was because um,” She pauses.

“What's wrong, Ash?” I asks concerned.

She sighs before answering, “I missed you.” Aw.

“Aw, baby. I missed you too.” I say smiling into the phone.

“I feel like I'm being extra needy.” She says as I walk into the bathroom.

“Nope. I love it.” I say turning on the shower.

“Well, I love you.”

“I love you too. I'm gonna shower and I'll call you when I'm leaving for school, kay?”

“Okay.” She says and we hang up.

After I shower and get dressed for school, I head downstairs to find my mom in the kitchen cooking breakfast.

“Good morning, honey.” She says as I hop up on a stool. “How was your birthday? Did Aiden have a nice night planned out?”

“Actually mom,” I start as she places a plate in front of me on the counter with eggs, bacon, and pancakes on it. I take a bite of my pancakes before continuing. “Aiden and I aren't together anymore.” I say with a mouth full of food.

She stops cooking and turns around, “Oh honey, I'm sorry what happened?” She asks, like she really cares.

“I broke up with him.” I say plainly as I stuff another fork full of pancake in my mouth. “This is so good.” I tell my mom and she makes a disgusted face.

“Spence, how many times have I told you about talking with your mouth full?”

“A lot?” I stop chewing and look up at her. She stares at me for a second before smiling.

“So you're fine with the whole Aiden thing?” She questions, taking the pancake out of the pan putting it on a plate and putting the pan in the sink. I nod my head, not to talk with my mouth full.

“Okay.” She says simply, grabbing her bag off the counter. “Did you hang out with Madison then?”

I think for a second, wondering if I should lie or not. I mean, what's wrong with me hanging out with Ashley for my birthday? Absolutely nothing. “Um, no. Actually, I hung out with Ashley mom.” I say not looking at her.