A New Year

“Spencer hurry up or you're gonna be late for school!” My mom yelled up the steps just as I finished my hair. I gave myself a once over in the mirror before bolting out the bathroom, grabbing my bag off the bed and running down the steps. “Here.” My mom said handing me a hundred dollar bill. “For the week.” She smiled and kissed me on my forehead.

“Thanks mom.” I said then jetted out the door toward Aiden's 2011 Dodge Magnum. I heard my mom yell a 'Don't forget to get some breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day,' before I hopped into Aiden's car.

“Hey babe.” He greeted me with a kiss.

“Hey.” I smiled as he put the car in drive and we headed to school. We stopped at Mcdonalds on the way to get breakfast cause there was no way in hell I was eating breakfast from the cafeteria. Or lunch for that matter. Thank God I was a Senior this year so I could leave campus for lunch.

“I'll meet you at lunch, okay?” Aiden kissed me again as we walked up to my classroom door. He was a gentleman like that. He walked me to class, opened doors for me, pulled out my chair for me, anything you could think of sweet, Aiden was the type of guy to do it.

“Kay.” I hugged him and made my way into my classroom and took the empty seat next to my best friend Madison.

“What's up chica? How was your summer?” She asked me, turning and looking at me like she was waiting for me to tell her the juiciest news ever. See, what Madison was waiting for was for me to tell her that Aiden and I had finally took that next step in our relationship, you know the one, the step everyone expects you to take if you've been with someone for longer than a month. Well, Aiden and I have been together since freshman year and it was finally supposed to happen one day over the summer but it never did. 

“It didn't happen Madi.” I tell her. She looks more disappointed then Aiden did.

“What? Why not? I thought you were ready?” She questions. And honestly, I thought I was to. Until it came time to do it and I freaked out and told Aiden that I wanted to wait.

“I wasn't ready.” I tell my best friend truthfully and she understands that I don't want to talk about it anymore so she changes the subject.

“So are you excited chica? We're Seniors now. We run this place!” Madison yelled excitedly. I'll admit, I'm glad to be a senior cause that means I'm almost done with this place, I get to eat off campus and everyone in the school looks up to us, but no one and I mean no one, is more excited then Madison.

“Yeah, sure.” I say laughing at my best friends' antics. “Some more than others.” I mumble still giggling at Madison, who was now bouncing up and down in her desk like a kid about to get a treat.

“Hey bitches.” Our friend Carmen comes in and sits behind us. “How was summer?” She asked looking directly at me. Seriously?

“It didn't happen.” Madison buts in. “And she doesn't wanna talk about it.” Ugh, thank you Mads. Carmen puts her hands up defensively and we all burst out laughing. Oh how I've missed my friends. We spent the entire summer away from each other. Madison in Puerto Rico visiting family, Carmen in Mexico and me right here in good ol' Los Angeles with Aiden.

Not that I'm complaining. I had a great time with Aiden this summer, spending endless days and nights watching him surf, going to the movies, bowling, and a bunch of other relationship type things. But it would have been nice to get away is all I'm saying.

“Okay class, settle down. I'm Mr. Fitz” The teacher said as he entered the classroom. I hate the first day of school. The introductions and all. As seniors, I think that we should be allowed to not introduce ourselves. If these teachers don't know us by now then I say that's just too bad. “We're gonna start today off by having everyone come to the front of the class and introduce themselves.” See what I mean? “You all might be acquainted with one another but this is my first year teaching here so if you wouldn't mind...” He trailed off. Everyone looked around the room at each other, I guess no one wanting to go first. Pussies. I get up and walk to the front of the room.