How To Love

“Spencer, Spencer wake up you have company.” My mom shakes me from my slumber. A small smile creeps onto my lips as I replay the events from last night. She'd said she loved me, and after only two months of knowing this girl—I knew I loved her too.

“Mom, go away.” I say, turning over so that my back is facing her. But she doesn't leave.

“Aiden is downstairs honey.” I shot up and looked at her. Making sure I heard her correctly.

“Who's downstairs?” I ask, my voice strained, I look at the alarm clock at it's 6:45am. Seriously?

“Aiden, honey.” She says again, confusion spreading across her face. I didn't get what he could possibly want.

“Okay, mom.” I say getting off the bed. “Could you tell him I'll be down in a sec?”

“Sure honey.” She says leaving my room. I freshen up then head downstairs to see Aiden sitting on the couch and my mom in the kitchen making breakfast.

“Aiden.” I say, and his head jerks around. He looks mad at me still—and I can't say I blame him.

“Are you leaving honey?” My mom yells from the kitchen. “Cause I'm making breakfast.” She adds.

I look at Aiden who averts his gaze and yell a quick no to my mom.

“Why are you h--”

“I need to get my stuff outta your car and I think my Varsity jacket is in your room.” He tells me with a mixture of hurt and anger in his voice, never looking at me.

“Okay, that's fine.” I understand his pain, it's the same pain I feel everyday when I think about how I hurt him and how I may never be accepted by my parents. So I know what he's feeling right now. I go and grab my keys off the counter in the kitchen and toss them to him. “You can get your stuff, while I go find your jacket.” I tell him and he leaves without responding. I go up to my room and search through my closets for his jacket and find it on my shelf.

As I turn around to head back down the steps Aiden is standing there with my keys in his hand. We exchange my keys for his jacket and then tries to practically bolt out of my room. I run and block the door so he couldn't leave. I wanted to be his friend again, I wanted the Aiden that I meet 10 years ago back.

“Please.” I beg him as he tries to move me out of the way.

“Move Spencer.” He spits out, trying to walk past me but I won't budge. He was gonna listen to what I had to say, whether he wanted to or not.

“Aiden, I'm sorry.” He scoffs and I realize how tired he must be of hearing that. “I really am, Aiden. I never meant for things to happen like this. It wasn't supposed to be this way.” His face softens and I know he's listening.

“I just don't get what I did wrong, Spencer.” He says backing up from me as I close my door.