When Confusion Sets In

“Okay class, tomorrow we're going to start working on the play.” The teacher said as the bell rang. She stood up then added, “So please work on your parts. I need to see everyone who has a lead role to stay for minute.” Madison sighed, then glanced at me. She had a lead role.

“I'll catch up with you later.” I tell her as I put my books in my bag. I had so much homework to do tonight. So not looking forward to it.

“OK.” She says joining the rest of the people who had a lead role in the front of the class with the teacher.

I leave the classroom and walk outside towards my car when I hear someone calling my name. I turn around and see Ashley running towards me.

“Hey.” She says out of breath.

“Hey.” I smile at the fact that she just ran to catch up with me. “You okay?” I ask bending down to her level. She had her hands on her knees, clearly trying to catch her breath. She put a finger up as she tried to even out her breathing.

“Man you walk fast.” She smiles as she finally catches her breath and we continue towards the parking lot. I laugh as she asks, “What are you doing today?”

“I have a mountain of homework.” I tell her as we reach my car.

“Good.” She smiles then adds, “How about we climb that mountain together?”

“How about you climb the mountain and I stay down at the bottom and watch you.” I joke, not even sure what I actually meant by that. And by the look on Ashley's face I could tell she didn't get it either.

“What?” She scrunches up her face. “You wanna check out my ass as I climb, is what you're saying?” I can feel the blush spreading across my cheeks.

“Would you like to come over and do homework with me?” I ask, finally. She was about to speak when my phone rang. I look down at the caller ID to see it's Madison. I tell her one sec then answer my phone. “Yeah?”

“Ugh, where are you? I wanna run lines with you tonight.” She says and I can hear her closing her locker.

“Um.” I try and think of a lie—I got nothing, so I just tell the truth. “I have so much homework, Mads.” I say unlocking my door.

“Boo your life, Spencer. We can run lines after you're done. Say around 9ish?” She questions, and I can't think of a lie fast enough. Truth is, I wanted to be alone with Ashley. I didn't know why, I just knew that was what I wanted.

“Oh you know what, I forgot I'm supposed to be helping my mom clean the attic today, so I won't even get to my homework 'til late.” I lie to my best friend, something I never did before—Ashley.

She sighs then says a quick 'fine' and hangs up. I guess she's mad at me.

“I'm confused.” Ashley says suddenly, as I throw my bag in the back seat of my 09' Camry.

“Huh?” I say, realizing that she just heard that whole conversation between Madison and I.

“You ask me to come over, but you're busy?”

“No, I just told her that to get her off the phone.”

She makes a face “So you lied to your best friend?”

“Yeah.” I say in a low voice.

“Why?” I see the confusion written all over her face.

“Cause I wanted you to myself.” I blurt out, realizing that's not what I meant to say. Or was it...

She smiles as I blush—yet again.

“I'll meet you there in like an hour.” Smiles then saunters off towards her car. See what I mean about my brain and her ability to turn it to mush?