It's My Birthday

It's been a week since I broke up with Aiden. Things are, civil between us. I mean he's still mad at me—of course, but he's talking to me now, at least. I don't think, there has ever been a time in my life that I was more happy. And of course, Ashley is the cause of that. The days since we kissed, have been nothing short of amazing. Hanging out almost everyday, she even came over and hung with me and Madison for our post break up ritual, which I really didn't need because Ashley was more than enough to help me get over Aiden.

Today is my 18th birthday and to say that I'm less than excited would be an understatement. I've never really made a big deal about my birthday. It's not like my parents are ever around to celebrate it with me. Their work consumes them.

“Spencer wake up honey.” My mom shakes me. I hope this is not going to become a morning ritual.

“Uggggh. Moooom.” I whine and open one eye. I'm sure it's some absurd time like 5:30 am or something. I use that one eye to glance over at my alarm clock that reads 5:45am. Fuck my life.

“Honey, wake up. Your father and I have to go to work.”

“Fine.” I say, sitting up on my bed finally opening both eyes. My mom and dad are standing beside my bed and my dad is holding a tray of all my favorite breakfast foods.

“Happy birthday, sweetie.” My parents say in unison, as my dad places the tray on the bed. In all my 18 years of living I can only remember one time that my parents ever got me anything for my birthday, it was my 8th birthday and I begged for a barbie dream house. They were expensive, like 200 hundred bucks and I begged almost the whole year for it. So why all of a sudden they wanna be nice and do this for me?

“Is everything okay?” They look at each other then back at me and laugh.

“Of course sweetie, why wouldn't they be?” Um, I don't know, cause you guys are acting like parents.

“No reason.” I smile then pick up a piece of bacon off the tray. Mmm.

“Okay honey, we have to go.” My mom says, kissing me on the forehead. “We'll do dinner this weekend.” She says as my dad leans down and kisses my forehead too.

“Love you, honey. Happy birthday.” My dad smiles and exits, my mom follows but stops in the doorway.

“Thanks, dad.” I smile.

“Oh, and I guess it would be okay if you invited Aiden to dinner sweetie. I guess, if you plan on being with him forever, I should probably get to know him.” Oh great, now she wants to get to know him.

“Okay mom.” I say, not wanting to get into that with her right now.

“There's money downstairs on the counter, for the week.” She adds then leaves.

I practically devour all the food on the tray in record time. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, and grits. I'm a fat ass, I know. It's my birthday, I'll be fat if I want to. After eating I showered and got dressed for school. Sucks that my birthday is on a Monday. So I have school. I mean, I didn't have plans or anything, but I would have liked to have just chilled with Ashley.