4. - Welcome To The Family

„You’re nervous?“ Matt asked.

„No, everything’s fine!“ I said in a high voice. “I just wet my pants, Shadz.”

We already had the sound check and I should be the first to enter the stage. No one will see me, because we made a plan. I’ll walk onto stage while everything is black and the lights will shine when the guys join me. There will be no direct lights at the drums, till we finish the first song.

Johnny came with this idea while I told him that I’m afraid they’ll justice me because I’m a girl.

“Then no one will see who you are. We play our song, and then Matt will introduce you to the crowd,” he had said.

I was in one room with Matt, Zacky, Syn, Larry and Johnny. The girls were also backstage, but somewhere else. They already had wished me luck.

“So, time to go,” Larry said and I followed him.

“Good luck, littl’ one,” Johnny said while hugging me.

“Kick their asses,” Zacky said and Syn joined with a “Go and blow them away”.

We stood in front of the stage and as the lights went out and the screaming went higher Larry pushed me on stage. I clutched my sticks and was glad I arrived at my familiar drums without tripping. I heard the crowd scream louder as the others were in their sight. And then there was no time for thinking anymore, Matt gave me the sign and then I started to play ‘Nightmare’.

“How are you tonight, Orange County?” Matt screamed and the audience screamed back as an answer. “We are Avenged Sevenfold and it’s our pleasure to have our first gig in this new lineup at home. We like you to welcome our new drummer, Kay,” he turned his head and looked at me, gave me a wink before he went on “kick this shit!” The lights above me turned on as he approached me and I started to play ‘Welcome To The Family’. I was so into this song I even hadn’t the chance to catch the response from the audience.

In the middle of the song I looked up and stared at Johnny’s face who stood in front of my drums and smiled at me. When I gave him a smile back, he turned and fired the crowed up. Before the next song began I had to bind a ponytail, as I couldn’t see anything. My hair was everywhere; especially in my face and in front of my eyes. The next song was the creepiest song I’ve ever heard and I had my part. We started to play the song I could play in my dreams – if I would.

Through my earphones I couldn’t hear the audience and I think this was better, when my part came.

Then came Zacky’s Part and he asked in a very, very creepy and dark voice “Do you take this man in death for the rest of your unnatural life?” and I answered with a “Yes, I do”. I could see Johnny smiling as he passed my way and then Zacky asked Matt the same question and he answered with an “I do”. Zacky added an “I now pronounce you” and that was my singing part for the evening – almost.

While Syn’s solo Matt came by, took a sip from his water, which was standing in front of my drums – which were in the A7x design – and held his thumbs up. We played some songs and I was sweaty – really, really sweaty. It was so fuckin’ hot in this room. All the people who were sweating, the lights above me and the dust – it was too much. So I started to undress my long top.

“Uh, starting a little striptease up there, Kay?” Zacky asked and spoke directly in his mic.

“You know, you guys are too hot for me,” I answered in my mic and didn’t hear Syn’s reaction, as I had to plug my earphones in again. I was just wearing a little bandeau top. I didn’t care what others were thinking, they did not even have to sit here in this sauna.