4//bloody noses

"Stop shivering, dumbass. You'll fall, again."

    Zed scowls and lets out a weak curse as he steadies himself on the skateboard.

    "Okay," Dominic says, prying off his fingers from Zed's clutch with much difficulty. "Just ride smooth, okay?"

    Zed isn't really listening. Instead he's staring down the empty road where Robyn and Harper were doing aerials and ollies.

    He wants to do that.

    Dominic, as though reading Zed's thoughts, lightly slaps the back of Zed's head making him scowl. He looks at him pointedly and says, "First, you need to learn the basics."

    Zed should've kept him mouth shut. This all started when he uttered those dreadful words.

    "There's nothing to do in this town," Zed groaned.

    The trio stared at him in incredulity and raced home only to bring out their skateboards.

    And here he is. Learning how to ride a skateboard and failing miserably.

    "Okay," Dominic says, stepping back. "Just put your foot down and push lightly, okay?"

    He does the same. The skateboard moves an inch.

    "Move faster, you pussy!" Robyn yells.

Zed glares at her. "Calling me a pussy just means that you're referring to your genitals as a sign of cowardice."

But Robyn isn't listening.

Zed, half filled with fury and hurt at being called pussy and being ignored, lets the sole of his feet hit the ground which ends up in the skateboard surging forward. It rolls from underneath him and he falls down on his back.

    "Oh crap." Dominic sighs, running his fingers through his hair. "Crap. If we take you home right now, your mom is definitely gonna think that we've been bullying you."

    Nothing new there, Zed thinks to himself.

    He can hear footsteps running towards him until he hears Robyn. "Hey, you okay?"

    Zed doesn't open his eyes. Just scowls. Harper jabs his arm with his finger only to have Zed let out an ear piercing shriek.

    "Oh crap. Did you break your arm?" Dominic asks and Zed hears some shuffling.

    "I don't know? How . . .do you know it's broken?"

    A short silence follows until Dominic lightly lifts up Zed's hand. A shot of pain courses through his arm and come out of his mouth. He yells out profanity.

    "Oh yes. It's definitely broken."

    "Okay," Robyn says. "Zed, can you stand up?"

    He can't. Not alone anyway. So, Dominic lifts him up to his feet while Harper steadies him. Zed blinks lazily and licks his lips that are coated with sweat and dirt.

    "Okay, we'll go to your place."

    "It's too far. Let's take him to ours."

    "Crap," Dominic stresses. "Aunt Linda locked the house before leaving. What are we gonna do?"

    Zed shuts his eyes because the heat is making his head hurt. Harper sees this and helps Zed limp to a nearby tree and helps him sit down.

    "Ow."

    Harper takes off his cap and places it on Zed's head. Zed smiles thankfully and Harper winks at him in return.

    "Okay, Zed. You don't mind sitting here for a few minutes, do you? We'll just see if any of the neighbours have a spare key," Robyn says with an apologetic smile.