C H A P T E R 27

Jasmine

After driving my mothers car like a mad woman to the hospital when I arrive I let some tears slip and slam my hand on the front desk to grab the receptionists attention.

"Excuse me, how can I help you?" She asks as she sends me a worried glance as she takes in my appearance. I probably looked like a hot mess.

"I need to see Mary Osborn."

"What is your relationship with her?"

"I'm her granddaughter."

"Do you know when she was checked in?" She asks me.

"A few hours ago maybe 2..." I stutter and bite back more tears.

The woman's face softens a bit and she stares at her computer screen for a moment.

"I'm so sorry miss..." I refuse to listen to this. The look on her face said it all.

"No, stop." I gasp and turn around ready to run to find her room on my own.

"Jasmine.." My mothers tear stained face greets me, some people stare but I don't care all it takes is for me to see my moms pale face and tear stained cheek.

I slowly lean against the wall and crumble to the floor.

"It's okay, it's going to be okay.." My mom coos in my ear.

The only thing going through my mind was that I should've stayed home with her. Her last day, her last hours she wanted to be with me, and I left her alone.

All the pieces came together once my mom explained what had happened. All those mystery trips her and my grandmother were gone, were to the hospital and specialists to get help, look for a cure a solution anything.

She had a Brian tumor. My mom explained how they thought everything was going well that she'd be okay once her surgery was done but in fact it didn't work out as the doctors had planned. My mom knew that time was running out for my grandma so she decided that we'd spend the summer, her last summer, together with her.

If I could take back all the complaining and comments about missing music camp to see my grandma this summer I would. If only I had known. If only they had told me.

God, why didn't I stay with her, I could've told Hayden that I had to take a rain check. He would have understood.

I let angry tears fall from my face as I drive myself back home, my mom and dad stayed behind to...take care of my grandmas hospital bills and arrangements.

This is all happening so fast it's overwhelming.

So I drive to the only place I know I'll feel safe, the only person who could make me smile and feel better. Because right now I feel guilt and hatred toward myself for leaving and my grandma for not telling me sooner.

I knock on the huge door and it takes a few minutes for an answer but when Hayden opens the door his face hardens, he looks ready to kill.

My tears fall freely as I let my head hang low and sniffle, "Jasmine what's wrong?"

I say nothing as I walk into his arms and sob into his chest.