C H A P T E R 1

Jasmine

The last day of school. I quickly gather up some of my music sheets and stuff them in my already cramped school bag.

Then I run downstairs excited to get this day over with.

"Hey mom" I say and kiss her cheek as she sets her mug filled with steamy coffee on the counter. She returns the warm smile.

"I can see you're excited for the last day of school." She states. I nod. "Yeah of course, because by next week I'll be on a plane on my way to Music Camp!" I beam.

"I mean mom this is a huge deal I could actually be discovered! Maybe even get a record deal, that's insane." I ramble on a huge grin on my face as I grab a banana to go.

She sends me a tight lipped smile that looked forced. My smile fades and all my attention is turned to my mom. She notices my stares and grabs her coffee mug taking a sip to hide any emotion she had given away.

"Mom." I say and walk closer. "What happened? Why did you give me that look?" I question.

What she says next makes my heart stop.

"What do you mean we have to go to grandmas for the summer?!" I almost yell. "How could you guys do this to me! You know how long I have been waiting to go to this camp!" She frowns.

"Don't yell at me young lady." Is all she says and I roll my eyes. "Whatever..." I mumble but feel as if I'd been slapped in the face.

"What's going on here?" My dad asks as he walks in the kitchen looking clueless as to what's going on. I roll my eyes once again. "I can't believe you two! You know how much music means to me and how long I've been saving up for this camp..." I say and storm out of the house to head for school.

I hear my dad call my name but I don't look back. This was not how I planed my last day of junior year to go.

***

"Have a good summer!" My six period teacher announces and then the whole class cheers and stands up to leave. I slump back into my seat and keep to myself waiting for the room to clear out.

"Hey Jazz why so glum?" Cameron my best friend asks me as he stands over my desk waiting for me to get up. I stand and grab my things with a slight pout.

"When I get home it is not going to be pretty..." I sigh. He frowns. "Tell me what's up?" He says as we walk to his car and drive to the mall our usual Friday routine.

I explain to him how my parents are forcing me to go to my grandmas for the summer and how music camp is out of the question.

"That is so unfair, I know how much you were looking forward to it though, I'm sorry babe..." He says and puts an arm over my shoulder in a comforting way.

I sigh. "Yeah me too, anyway how about you I know you always have amazing summer plans!" I say and muster up my best smile. I don't want to bum Cameron out too.

He smirks. "Oh honey I have so many things going on..." He jumps right into his summer plans and doesn't hold back any details.

"So you're actually going to Hawaii with Nate!?" I exclaim. He nods and smiles.

"Sure am, but don't tell it's a secret..." He says in a teasing tone and I laugh.