|18|

T H E  P R E S E N T

~~~~

Patrick was thrown into the back of a police car and sent off to jail again. The ride was silent as Patrick's thoughts sent a smirk to appear across his face. He seemed to be thinking of something. Thinking of the impossible maybe.

When he arrived, he already knew the deal. He'd be stripped down and given a uniform and then be put in his cell. Hopefully they'd put me in solitary, he thought to himself.

The officers and guards pushed him around as they got him prepared to go into his next destination. At the time, all of the inmates were traveling to the cafeteria to eat and he was being put into his cell. As they managed to get through the hallway, Patrick would bump into a few people and he noticed that Dustin was in jail. That shocked him but that didn't stop him from bumping into him.

"You asshole!" Dustin yelled as he attacked Patrick, well attempted to. He pushed him and Patrick grabbed a hold to his neck and slammed him into the wall. The guards quickly grabbed the both of them as Patrick smiled.

"You shouldn't have done that." Patrick told Dustin.

"Man, fuck you!" Dustin spat as he was taken on to lunch. The guards proceeded with Patrick as well.

No one informed Patrick that they had accused Dustin of murder, let alone put him in jail. He thought about his plan and how it almost worked. How'd they catch me? He wondered as he continued down the hall.

The guards pushed him into his new home for the moment and they locked him inside. Solitary, just the place he wanted to go. He was alone and could have all the time in the world to think of his next move. This excited him.

Dustin, on the other hand, ate lunch at a table away from everyone. His forehead bruised from being hit against the concrete wall but that didn't hurt because his adrenaline was rushing; his nerves were bad. He hated being at such a place with people who didn't give a damn about his existence. This is what he felt like hell would be like. And truly, he was confused to why he was here. I mean, he knew that he didn't kill Mia because he loved her so much. But he still couldn't believe that she was gone.

The cafeteria doors opened and Dustin raised his head and noticed Officer Moore and Detective Allen come inside. They walked straight over to his table and took a seat. Dustin looked surprised and confused all at the same time.

"Last person that you want to see, I know," Shawn started. "but I want you to know that I am sorry. I completely apologize and you're free to go."

Dustin's eyes lit up and he shot up out of his seat. Officer Moore began to escort him out of the prison to be free.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Dustin said as he hugged on Officer Moore.

"No need to thank us. We figured out that you didn't kill anyone.. We know you loved Mia and we seen that you were right; Patrick did kill Mia." He told Dustin.

Dustin was sad knowing that he had to go back to his house and alone. Not being able to see Mia everyday and knowing he couldn't talk to her would most definitely depress him, but Dustin would make it.

"We didn't tell Mia's family about her body parts that we found; we figured you wanted to do that." Officer Moore told Dustin.

Dustin turned around and noticed Mia's sister Zoe, waiting for him. She was standing with her arms crossed. "I will." Dustin told Officer Moore.