31

Kurt and I woke up a few minutes apart. I sat up.
"Stay here." He whispered. I nodded.
"Okay." I whispered back.
"Hey I've been meaning to ask you something." He said.
"Yeah?" I asked laying back down with him.
"Do you maybe want to be my girlfriend?" He asked. I stayed silent for a bit.
"What?" I asked for clarification.
"You know, be my girlfriend. I don't know I shouldn't have asked." He said as he started to look visibly worried.
"No Kurt it's okay. Yeah sure I'll be your girlfriend." I smiled. He nodded.
"Cool." He said as he put his arm over me.

Before then I had felt like I had all life drained out of me. I did after too, but Kurt dulled the sadness out a bit. He got up and out of bed and got dressed as I stayed in bed.
"Aren't you going to get up?" He asked.
"No thanks." I said.
"Okay. Are you sick?" He asked as he put his hand on my forehead before I could answer.
"No." I sighed.
"Are you sad?" He asked. I nodded. He went out of the room and came back with a bowl of ice cream. I pushed Kurt away.
"Let me sleep." I said. He sighed.
"Goodnight." He said.

I looked over to the closet, where Kurt kept a gun. I guess he liked to go out into the woods and shoot slabs of meat, at least, that's what he said it was for. What a weirdo. I got up and slowly walked towards the closet.  I opened the closet door and retrieved the gun. I checked to see if it was loaded,it was. I sat there for an hour just thinking about it. I had decided to write Kurt a letter.

Dear Kurt,
I apologize if this is at short notice. I'm sorry we couldn't be happy for longer, fate tends to come and go. I feel as though I have somehow made my contribution already. I just feel that it is my time; or really, that my time is up. Live happily for Frances and those you love. I will probably be going somewhere so you don't have to clean up my blood or anything. I'm sorry this must happen while your mother is in town. Over all, I am just sorry. Please remember that I love you, because I do. I have much more to say but I don't know how to say it, I think that the words I've chosen are adequate.

I love you,
Ruby

I pulled the gun so it was pressed between my eyes and took a deep breath.