27

A knock on the door turned into an open door. Then into hugs and low conversation.
"Where's Ruby?" I heard Billie Joe ask after a few minutes.
"The kitchen I think." Dave said. A few seconds later Billie Joe was with me on the floor with his arm around me.
"Hi." He said.
"Hello." I responded.
"How are you?" He asked.
"I'm alive." I said sadly. He hugged me closer to him.
"That's good. How do you feel?" He asked.
"Alright. Isn't it strange how people never truly answer that question? I wanted to say 'I want to jump off a bridge', but that's not what you say at parties. You say that you're fine." I said.
"That is odd, but you can't jump off a bridge any time soon." He smiled.
"No promises." I smiled back.

Tre came in and raided my fridge.
"There's room in the living room for you." He said.
"I want to be more secluded right now." I said sadly. Tre came over and gave me a hug and then took the hint, leaving me with Billie Joe.
"Do you want to go outside?" He asked. I nodded. We stood up and walked out of the kitchen. Everyone's eyes were on us. I silently walked out of the front door and Billie followed behind me. We sat on the concrete hallway. I pulled out a pack of cigarettes and offered one to him.

"Nah I don't smoke."  He said. The door opened and Kurt stepped out. He sat beside me on the other side of Billie Joe.
"Hello." I said.
"Hi." He smiled. After that it was silent.
"Are you alright?" He asked a bit later.
"Yes." I said.
"Yknow I'm going to miss you guys." Billie Joe said.
"Krist said you'll be back. And you can call whenever." I said trying to make him feel better.
"Yeah I guess. LA is so gross." He laughed.
"Your inner punk is coming out." I said hitting his shoulder.
"I'm punk all around." He laughed.
"Hey Billie?" I asked.
"What?" He asked.
"Do you want to help me dye my hair?" I asked.
"Yeah sure." He said. We got up.
"Can I come?" Kurt asked. I grabbed his hand and helped him up. 

We walked through the parking lot and to Billie Joe's car. I sat in the passenger seat and we drove for a few minutes until we found a drugstore. The woman behind the counter gave us a dirty look as we walked in. We found ourselves where the hair dye was. Billie inspected my hair.
"We're going to have to bleach it." He said. I nodded. I grabbed a box of red hair dye and Billie Joe got the bleach. Kurt stood there awkwardly.
"Alright. We should be good." He said. We bought it and then walked out of the store. In the car Billie Joe messed with the radio but gave up.
"The radio sucks." Billie Joe complained.
"Agreed." Kurt said from the back seat.
"Kurt, your band is on the radio." I pointed out.
"Exactly." He smiled.