24

I woke up near Billie. Tre was standing at the end of the bed laughing. Mike was presumably in the shower. Billie Joe was dead asleep. He was snoring a little bit. That made me smile.
"Should I wake him up?" Tre asked.
"I don't care. Let me enjoy this for a bit longer." I laughed.
"Oh, the snoring." Tre laughed too. He woke him up by jumping on the bed. Billie Joe initially just played dead, then he fully woke up. He was awake and still holding onto me.
"Do you want to visit Kurt in a bit?" Billie Joe asked, his voice still sleepy.
"Yeah. Hey, do you know if Dave fed my dog?" I asked.
"I think he did." Billie Joe muttered.
"Alright."I said.

Tre knocked on the bathroom door.
"I'm busy!" Mike said loudly.
"That wasn't the right response!" Tre yelled at him.
"I have to pee!" Tre added.
"Go outside!" Mike said.
"Michael there is a time for pissing outside and it is not right now." Tre started laughing. Billie Joe rolled away from me and I sat up. I stretched.
"Hey Tre?" Billie Joe asked.
"What?" He said impatiently.
"I had a weird sex dream about River Phoenix." Billie Joe laughed. Tre raised his eyebrow.
"Why are you telling me this?" Tre asked. Billie Joe kept laughing. Mike opened the door and came out into the main room. Tre went inside to pee presumably. Mike's hair was wet, he messed it up a bit and looked over at Billie Joe and I.
"Look, the lovebirds woke up." He smiled. I rolled my eyes. Billie Joe just laid back down.
"Wanna go see Kurt?" Billie said tiredly.
"Sure." I said. I got up and found my shoes. Billie did the same.

The nearly October air was warm and dry, as LA should be. The sky was dark, not a hint of direct sunlight despite it being midday. I opened the car door and sat in the passenger seat. I messed with the radio as Billie Joe drove us out of the hotel parking lot and to the hospital. When we arrived, the woman we saw the night prior was at the desk again.
"Here for Mr. Cobain?" She asked. I nodded. She pointed me up the stairs. Billie Joe followed and didn't get stopped. We went up the staircase to the room he was in before. There was a small window. Krist and the baby were in the chair beside his bed, Kurt was reading a book. I knocked. A nurse came to the door and let us in. To Kurt's other side, the side we couldn't see from the window sat someone unexpected.

"River?" I said. He looked up at me and smiled. I went over to Krist, picked up the baby and held her.
"Hi." Kurt said. He grabbed my free hand.
"How do you feel?" I asked.
"Honestly, sad." He said. He reached for the baby and I handed her to him.
"Bean likes you." He added.
"Do you want me to come home?" I asked. He nodded.
"Please do."