Chapter 24- Today I Learned...

Chapter 24 

Ivy's POV

Ryan is worse than Rixon, I concluded after they left with Sonic in tow. Ryan is like sweet venom, sickly sweet with a horrible after-taste. The worst thing about him is his smile because it seems so convincingly toothy, but the warmth doesn't quite reach his eyes. I lied down on the floor (but it's not like I could have lied down on anything else) and asked the old woman if Ryan was who he seemed to be.

“I'm afraid not, dear,” She replied with a sigh. “He's quite the opposite. He'll tell you everything you want to hear to earn your trust. I wouldn't trust him if I were you, just trust your gut. You know, there's an old saying that goes, 'The end justifies the means.' He lives by that to fullest extent.”

I nodded to myself, soaking in her advice. She's the only person I've decided to trust here and I'm intent on gaining as much information as I could. “And what about that Sonic boy? Is he one of Ryan's helpers?”

“Yes, unfortunately. But I can't say that I blame him; he was born into this mess. I just wish that he'd understand that Ryan will never be his father, or anything like him. Ryan could never replace Victor, rest his soul.”

“It's all 'Ryan this' or 'Ryan that' around here. Is he the leader around here?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“What?! Who would put him in charge?” I said incredulously, “I could tell that he's a bad person in just those five minutes that he was here. Could you all not sense that as well?!”

“Ah, but that's just the thing,” She with a hint of anger, “Ryan took power by force. After the old leader died, Ryan thought it was his 'civil right' to take over the... job. I'm sure you're curious about what happened to the old leader?” I nodded, but then I realized she wouldn't be able to see me. She continued as if she did see me, “Well he died in war along with his wife and many others. Ryan gained power at the age 14.”

“Didn't anybody try to stop him?” I asked curiously.

“Well, most of the council members died in the war,” She replied, “One of them was Ryan's father. Ryan obliterated anybody that tried to stop him-”

The groaning of the metal doors at the end of the corridor interrupted us. As the footsteps and torchlight came closer, I prayed silently for it not to be Ryan again. I opened my eyes when I heard my cell being opened. It was Sonic.

“Ryan is letting you out,” he said.

You mean I'm free to go home?!” I asked excitedly.

He didn't look me in the eyes. “No I meant: letting you out of the cell and into the pack house.” He helped me up. “Follow me.”

I thought about fighting for the old woman so she could be freed, too, but something told me she wouldn't be let out no matter how much I argued. I turned to wave her goodbye before we were to far away and she vanished into the darkness.

Sonic led me past the doors and told me to stay put so he could get some supplies behind a rock. It was then that realized we were in a cave and the supplies were behind a huge stalagmite, not a rock. So I was in a cave this entire time, huh? Well good to know.

“Here, you'll need these,” Sonic said as he handed me a pair of sunglasses, “It's for the sun outside. It's blinding after being in the dark for so long.” We walked for ten minutes until we came to a fork in the path. “You should put them on now.”

After we rounded the corner, the sun hit my eyes directly. I fumbled around for a minute, trying to put on the shades. As we exited the cave, Sonic pressed a button on the remote he had been holding. Suddenly a huge boulder came sliding down and slammed onto the stop we'd just been standing on.