Chapter 16

Well, the Eli/Joe part is wrapping up sooner than I expected. There will only be two more chapters, including this one, before Jaime/Noah begin their saga. I just want to take this time to sincerely thank all of you. The success of this story blossomed faster than I could ever expect or hope. I mean, I only wished for 800 reads and about twenty votes! It's doubled my expectations. I hope you all will fall in love again with the next part.

I'm also happy to announce the beginning of my Starkid one-shots (two shots in the night and they're gone, and he's all left alone, he's just, one boy, two dead at his feet and the blood stains the street. And there's nothing, oh there's nothing, he can, doooooooo). So maybe, if you like, you could possibly glimpse over them...

So, here's the second-to-last chapter in this POV. I hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER 16; ELI'S POV;

Nobody likes coming clean.

That's just the simple truth. Us humans would rather lie, defend ourselves, go out of our way not to seem like the villain than to confess what we did was wrong. But why is that? Sometimes, we would rather hurt someone else than to live with the burden of regret. But, eventually, the sour feelings will come around again to swoop over your body. 

I knew this. I didn't like it, but I knew it was true. Joe and I left for Cleveland in less than two weeks. I couldn't lie to his face anymore; I had to tell him the truth. The entirety of it.

And that's why I stood by my door, waiting for Joe to arrive. I fiddled with my hair, I bit my nails, I pulled on my eyelashes. I needed something to distract me from my hatred of deep conversations which was inevitable.

There was a rhythmic knock on my door. Despite the anxious mentality I was experiencing, I couldn't help but smile. It was like a little yellow canary in a black void.

I opened the door to Joe, his bowling hat swapped for a baseball cap. "Hey hon," he said as he gave me a big hug and a kiss on the forehead.

"Hey," I said, trying not to sound to dejected. He could sense my emotions like I was a book., though.

"What's wrong? Is the anniversary still raw?" he asked. I could feel my guilt mounting. Why did he have to be so caring and perfect?

"No, it's not that. Well, Savanna and Noah really had at it that day, and I'm kinda pissed about that, but it's not that. Wanna sit down?" I guess I could of worded it a little differently. His face literally melted from a loving boyfriend to a hopeless man, about to get dumped. I laughed slightly. "No, Joe, I'm not breaking up with you. I just wanna talk."

"Goddammit Eli! You scared the shit out of me!" he said as he joined me on my couch.

I took his hand, my back a straight branch. I took a deep breath, made a sound with my lips that resembled propellers, and took another breath. "I have a... secret, I guess. And, I thought... if I share this with you, maybe you could tell me something I've been wondering in return."

Joe looked uneasy. "You're not a lesbian, are you?"

I laughed. "No, I like penis."

"You're not married to some Venezuelan prince?"

"When I last checked, we were divorced."

Joe smiled. "Then, whatever you have to tell me couldn't be so bad, could it?"

I inhaled deeply. "I mean, this is gonna sound way worse than it was, but I can't word it in any other way.... Remember... remember when, in this past month or so, when you would ask me to hang out, and I would say I was hanging out with friends or something?" Joe nodded slowly. "Well... I lied. There, I said it, I'm a liar. I was actually... hanging out with Dylan."