Chapter 57

"Dark Messenger"

The sound of rusty chains woke Caliope slowly; the strange sound together with the empty space next to her in bed that became unfamiliar. She opened her eyes and saw the room was unusually dark. The sound of chains made her look around searching for its origin. She gasped and covered her mouth with horror; there was a dark bubble surrounding her, clouded spots of transparency allowed her to see that she was still in their room. The bubble was as big as half the room; at the other side, a glowing and angry Amra kept hitting the invisible walls without results.

She heard a laugh and looked at her left, there, standing only feets away from her, there was a tall and pale man, ice blue eyes, long grey hair, and a wicked smile. She was unable to move as the situation was still uncertain for her, but finally she saw rusty chains that came out of his back and floated on his sides as if they were resembling wings. A dark Angel for sure.

"Finally awake, aren't you..." The slim figure said and looked at her with a small but secure grin on his face.

She held quiet, she didn't want to respond or move at all. She looked towards Amra and tried to communicate with him. 'Amra... please tell me you can hear me...' She send to him and there was only panic in his face, he was angry and there was no reply to her pleas.

"He won't hear you, he can't reach you here... yet." The man answered her unspoken questions, yet she held quiet again, there was hope now as the man's words revealed a possibility for Amra to reach her, at some point.

The man walked around her slowly and with a hand under his chin he examined her. "Interesting... that is the word I think fits you best... Do you have any idea how important your role is in this battle? I bet you don't... everything started with you, and probably will end as well with you." His voice determined, the content of his words almost prophetic. Caliope sucked in air and held it as he sat next to her. "I was watching you sleep... not many Asterias do that, you know? sleep... it becomes a strange concept with the years... But it is kind of... cute? You still remain humanly innocent... Sleep is a gift, it helps you detach and dream..."

She was beyond curious, and thought of her best way to buy time, perhaps she could make enough so Amra could reach her. "Who are you?" She whispered.

He acted surprised, and smiled gently. "You ARE... cute. I like the pleasant sound of your voice, the notes seem in harmony with your emotions..." He chuckled as if he was holding a typical conversation. She kept quiet and he shook his head. "I am Angelus, a dark messenger... I came on my own, curiosity led me... that and, well... they had been talking about an immense power left inside you... I am very curious about what kind of power that is... your father's legacy holds many secrets..." He said with enough security for his words to be heard.

She tilted her head towards Amra and saw him glowing, his wings wide spread, the vision itself made her shiver. He was angry, there would be severe consequences. Angelus sighed and stood up. "He is upset I think... but you are all so naive... things won't change much even with the public knowledge..."

Caliope felt a little insecurity on the dark Angel and she finally took courage to speak more. "Would you help us?"

Angelus stood still, turning around slowly to look at her again and she saw in his face confirmation; he was uncertain, he had doubts. She moved to the edge of the bed and stood up looking at him. "You could help us tilt the balance. You would not be the first one who has moved to our side and help either. Pronab was once one of you, and he is now with us, his knowledge and expertise has helped in so many ways... and has saved me."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Save you? no one tried to hurt you... only take you... you are untouchable...now more than ever" He said and then he looked towards Amra, which made Caliope look as well. "He will break my safety, soon..."