Chapter 5 - Edited

A little too close

Caliope picked up her bag, and went to the door to grab the delivery. The young man was in a hurry; he gave her the box and got annoyed when he noticed she didn't have exact change. She gave him no tip.

After locking the door, Caliope walked back into the kitchen. As soon as she entered, there it was again, that feeling of thick air, the hair on the back of her neck rising. Amra was looking through the window outside. His eyes lost in the sight of some place in his mind. Continuing her good mood, she put the box on the table.

"We are lucky they are near us, so the delivery didn't take long... let me put this on a plate for you, and I will show you how to eat it."

Amra held silent for a moment then added "Open the mouth, put the food in, close the mouth, chew and swallow."

Caliope couldn't help laughing; it was a joyful laugh that made Amra turn his head to watch her. He smiled and she continued to laugh, a bit less, but with a blush after seen him smile.

"That is how one eats, that is true Amra." She smiled at him. "But what I mean is, every food has different ways of being tasted, and this salad is no different. I will explain to you. Come take a seat."

Amra walked slowly towards her and sat down next to her, watching her hands with new found curiosity. Caliope spoke to him while she laid the salad on the plate and poured the sauce on top.

"This special type of salad is quite simple, not many ingredients, but what makes it different is the special sauce it has, it is made with herbs and some spices, and it enhances the flavor of the most simple vegetables. You don't want too much sauce in each bite, so you need to be careful to pour it evenly around the plate."

"I want to try it."

Caliope looked at him and he did not move, after some long seconds of awkward silence she carefully held the fork with some of the salad in it, and guided it to his mouth. His eyes locked on hers as he parted his lips and took the bite. She felt her heart pound fast, her breath was heavier. His jaw tensed quickly, and then moved slowly as he chewed. When he smiled, her heart skipped another beat. He swallowed slowly.

"More."

There was something in his tone of voice that made her skin blossom with goosebumps again. She nodded smiling as she got another piece for him, and he half closed his eyes as this time he chewed it for a bit longer.

"What do you think? Do you like it?"

He opened his eyes fully again and nodded with an innocent smile. She looked down to the plate to grab another piece when he moved his hand and stopped her. Her eyes met his once more, and he slowly caressed her knuckles as he moved his fingers to the fork she was holding, taking it from her hand.

"Thank you."

His words barely a whisper, as he picked up another piece of the salad and brought it to his lips. She sat next to him and smiled as she watched him eat, each bite was a new found flavor for him, he was enjoying it and she could see him so joyful into this new adventure. There was something in the way he smiled, how he was discovering this for the first time. He felt so full of happiness for such a simple thing like eating a salad. There was nothing wrong with him; he was perfect, pure and innocent. She couldn't see anything wrong with him at all. Yes he was cryptic sometimes, he did not know her well yet, and he said things in such a way that it had made her confused before. Such as what she thought was a warning a few days ago before the incident, but there was really nothing much to look into. He was different, but he was good, he felt good.