Chapter 35

Hunt

Sunk in a couch, Caliope was silent as Maxwell and Falshore discussed new security measures for the wedding. Vanessa was bringing coffee to Caliope but she refused it, making it difficult for her to know how to help.

"You should have told me he tried to reach to you again... I would have come to be with you before..."

"You are sweet, Nessa... but you wouldn't have done much and you would have wasted valuable time best invested now for my wedding..."

Caliope tried to make her friend feel better, and it worked; Vanessa was smiling at her and nodding. They remained hugged in silence as both watched Amra nod with some advices he was getting from Maxwell.

An hour later, Elaine finally arrived at the residence accompanied by two men; both were dressed in long-sleeved shirts and trousers, they had their hands tattooed but only one had some silks wrapped in his head. Caliope couldn't help to notice how one was smiling and the other one was more serious, avoiding eye contact. They both bowed their heads to Maxwell and Falshore, and then turned towards the rest.

Elaine rushed to Caliope "What happened? We got here as soon as we could after Pronab's call, but signal was not very well down town..."

"We are trying to make some adjustments for tomorrow, most of all, security... I will make things simpler, we can't have any human here besides the bride and the bridesmaid." Maxwell's words were clear, and he didn't give a hint of a different choice to make.

Pronab walked next to Elaine and whispered to her ear, and she shook her head, sitting next to Caliope, she kissed her cheek and hugged her "It will be ok darling, he won't be able to ruin your day..."

Amra had been dead silent for a long time, but when he finally spoke, he said only "There are no questions about it... he won't."

They remained quiet for a moment until Falshore raised his voice "I have an idea..."

Maxwell sighed "I was hoping we wouldn't come to that..."

Amra looked at Falshore and invited him to speak more "What are your thoughts?"

"Let's play a hunting game..."

Pronab's eyes glittered "I hate to admit this but I like how you think."

Elaine shook her head "A hunting? You are taking things too far!"

The man with turban was now grinning, exchanging some eye contact with Falshore; probably there was something about hunting that appealed to them. Amra was pondering and quietly letting them discuss the many different options.

Caliope was squeezing Vanessa's hand still a little shocked with what she was hearing, and fear started to take over her once more; Elaine only caught this after Amra walked towards them, he kneeled and took Caliope's face in his hands, making her look up at him. Everyone in the room went quiet 'There is much about our world, their world, that you have yet to know... but trust me on this... no one will harm you, no one...' he whispered in her head. She swallowed and replied 'you are playing to be God... deciding on whose life is worth taking... I didn't know you could do such thing... you are no different from our tyrants and oppressors...' He shook his head 'We are very similar in many ways, but we are also completely different... I will let them explain this to you better...'

Elaine realized they were both talking to each other in their private way, but the room was getting tense, so she decided to speak up "Caly, darling... what is troubling you?"

It was Amra who turned around and replied "We will talk about this soon Elaine, right now, please introduce us..."

Elaine blushed some and gave a step aside, looking at their guests. She nodded at them and then introduced them both. "I am sorry, my worries won this time... Amra, Caly, Vanessa, Pronab... these are The Meng Generals, Meng Yi and Meng Tian... they are the Twin Generals... Generals, this is Amrafel... his Asteria Caliope... her friend Vanessa, she is human. And Pronab, whom you have heard of as well."