Background

COMMENT BELOW FOR ANY GROUPS YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO DO PROFILES FOR

Some Background information on K-Pop:

K-Pop is Korean Pop music that originates in South Korea.

The oldest in a group is typically the leader (but that isn't always the case) and the youngest is called the maknae. Artists normally promote using stage names that can be very different from their real name or it can just be their given name. Artists usually perform their songs along with choreography. K-Pop is a mix of genres like pop, rock, hip hop, R&B and electronic music. Many of the bands in K-Pop disappear after a few hits as it is a fast paced and highly-competitive industry. The majority of K-Pop songs spend a short time on music charts and it is extremely rare for a hit to lead the charts for more than a couple of weeks.

K-Pop videos are often vivid, colourful, extravagant and can be shocking and incomprehensible compared to traditional pop videos. The promotional activities of a K-Pop artist involve a "comeback", which is when the musician or group releases a new song or album and goes into promotions for it. Teaser images and video clips are commonly released to the public as part of "comeback" and first performances as a promotion of a new album or single are also a "comeback". Promotions involve performances on weekly music shows such as Inkigayo, M Countdown, and Music Bank. Their is a different music show that airs every day of the week and features interviews and performances from groups that are currently promoting. Each music show names a winner each week which is determined by a combination of sales, their performance, professional judgement, and fan votes. 

Dance is a necessary part of K-Pop. Singers often switch positions while singing and dancing when their are multiple singers. "Point dance" is the hooking or repetition of movements within the choreography. These movements stand out and are easily remembered. Choreographers try to simplify the movements so fans can learn and copy. 

Fashion is greatly influenced by K-Pop. The clothes and accessories and also hairstyles worn by K-Pop stars are highly sought after by listeners. Some K-Pop idols become fashion icons such as G-Dragon from Big Bang.

The three biggest agencies based on revenue are SM Entertainment, YG Entertainment and JYP. Agencies (or labels) are responsible for recruiting, financing, training, marketing and publishing new artists and managing their activities and public relations. Agencies often start training at ages 9 and 10 when trainees begin dance and voice classes at night and live together while attending school. Trainees are also taught foreign languages like English, Japanese and Chinese. The Korean idol trainee system is the most unique in the world.

Korean fan clubs are essential to a K-Pop groups popularity. Each club has it's own name, colour, and light stick. Since colours are limited some artists do not have an official colour. Light sticks come in different shapes, sizes, and colours and are used at concerts to show support for your group while they are performing. An example of two different light sticks are BigBang's yellow crowns and BTS' army bombs. Official fan clubs have a subscription where fans need to register, usually by paying a club fee, the fan then receives a membership card and other items like light sticks and official balloons for the idol. Clubs are well organized and participate frequently in charity events to support their idols. Fan clubs also organize presents to give to their idols on their birthdays.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards and Nominations

Golden Disk Awards

Awards show founded in 1986 that is presented annually by the Music Industry Association of Korea. The award is presented for outstanding achievements in the music industry in South Korea.

High Seoul Music Awards
An awards show founded in 1990 that is presented annually by the Sports Seoul. It is presented for outstanding achievements in the music industry in South Korea.

MNET Asian Music Awards (MAMA)
A major K-pop music award show that is held by MNET Media annually in South Korea.

Melon Music Awards
Major music awards show that is held by Melon Music Site and MBC Plus Media annually in South Korea. It calculated digital sales and online votes to determine the winners.

Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards
Major music awards show held annually in South Korea by Gaon Chart, which is a national music record chart.

Cyworld Digital Music Awards
Based on the BGM chart that started in 2006. The winner is chosen by combining both digital sales and online background music of the cyworld users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to thank a couple specific websites that I often use to gather my information for profiles: (I use a lot but these are ones that I routinely use)

KProfiles: http://kprofiles.com/bts-bangtan-boys-members-profile/

Miss Kpop: http://misskpop.weebly.com/

and wikipedia for awards and movie or variety show appearances