Chapter 14

Michael's POV

"Have him 'investigated?'" She snorts through her wild fits of laughter, clutching her stomach. That's gotta hurt, with the fresh incisions being there, but God knows she's the toughest person I've ever met. Physically and mentally.

"This is serious, Skip," I take a step closer to her, looking around the hallway to make sure nobody is paying attention. "Yeah, right, like he or the authorities could do anything." Her eyes roll and she begins to stroll away.

I follow quickly, placing a hand on her shoulder. "But they can! I don't think you understand the full extent of this. He is a grown man, and you are fifteen! This is more serious than you think."

This just proves that she's in too deep. She's been with Will too long, he's brainwashed her in a way, she can't even see the depth of the situation sitting right before her face. She can't see a thing, really, Will has blinded her.

"Just lay off, Michael. It'll be fine, just fine," Her voice squeaks from excessive laughter. I stop in my tracks, watching her walk and laugh to herself. "Skipper!"

"You're hilarious, Michael! Hilarious." Her giggles follow her all the way down the hall.

****

Skipper's POV

"I mean, she's a kid! What kind of kid gets pregnant? Especially one that goes to St. Mary's? A low class skank from the projects. How did she even get in?"

A new comment from the ringleader of the interns floats down the hall and hits me. Maybe a few months ago I would've been hurt by this comment, but now it just amuses me.

Comments like these have been floating around about twenty-four hours, and while it's very funny to hear them try and take a stab at me, I'm tired of people looking at me like on some sort of criminal.

"I mean, really? She smells like the projects." Another way to say 'black female' apparently. I spin on my heels and look at the person responsible for these comments, an intern named Jerry.

I take a tentative step closer, shaking my head and letting out a fake and hearty laugh. "Wow! The projects, huh? I've never heard such a clever joke in my life! So damn hilarious," I grin,
clapping my hands for him. His smile fades, just like I wanted it to.

"You wanna know what else... is funny?" I grab the collar of Jerry's lab coat, and slam him back against the wall with as much power as I can muster. The air in his lungs whooshes away, while his cronies jump back and just watch. Pretty loyal friends, right?

"What's going to be funny is your face when I am grinding my heel into it." I growl, lowering my voice a few octaves and tightening my hold on his neck. His face is turning a nice shade of red now.

"Funny Jerry, huh? You're a funny man? Well, that's gonna end right about now, buddy, or you won't like what I do to you. Trust me." I laugh bitterly and let my fingernails dig into his skin.

"Just so we're clear? I don't wanna hear any more jokes from you or your friends, got it? Or it's my foot, and your ass in a not so pleasant meeting. Got it?" He nods hard, and I release my grip on his neck, throwing him to the side. He falls on his knees to the floor, coughing and struggling desperately to breathe.

His friends, all students and interns from St. Mary's stare at me, their mouths like caves. It must be Saturday if they're here. I love the look of fear in all of their faces, a look that lets me know that I won't be hearing anything more about me and 'the projects.'

"Anyone else?" I call, walking in a circle  to examine all of their faces. Nobody says a word. "Great!" I pipe up cheerfully, rearranging my lab coat. "Good day, everyone."