Chapter 7

"That... That was so rude!" Apollo or whatever her name was says. I can tell she's at a loss for words. Her eyes are wide and filled with hurt. This is who my father replaced Moonsie with?

A twinge of pain in my side causes my frown to sink deeper. "Well, life is rude." I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't want to talk to her.

She looks to Will for help, but he only shrugs. We both know he can't reprimand me the way he should be able to. "Well, um... sorry. Young girls, you know? Hormones. Periods." That was just as unprofessional as I was being.

I glare at him for such a sexist remark. When's the last time I had a period anyways? She shrugs, looking away. "Skipper." My father says quietly, but I already decided I'm done speaking about this. He seems to be begging me to accept her with his eyes, but I know there's no way I could ever betray Moonsie like that. This girl can't be older than twenty-five.

"Look, the point is both of your hips are shot. You're gonna need double hip replacement surgery." His whore's eyes widen as she stares at me. "Is that a complicated surgery?" "I don't know, as I am a brain surgeon, I won't be performing it."

"She will," Will cuts in from behind us. "I will be sure of it." Asshole.

"Fine. We will use a mixture of Artificial Metal hips, screws, and bone grafts we'll harvest from his legs. It's got a short downtime, so you can leave in a matter of days."

"I guess that's good. Can I ask a few questions-" "I'll bring the surgery consent forms later."

I begin to walk toward the door. "Wait, Skipper, you need to know something." My father calls after me, but I ignore it. "Tell me when I bring the consent forms."

Will follows me out of the room. I was trying to avoid his wrath by escaping to the Skills Lab, but he obviously isn't allowing that. "Junior." He snaps quietly, but I keep walking.

"Junior!" I turn around. "What?!"

He sighs, looking to see if we've drawn attention to ourselves. Not yet. "That was completely unprofessional behavior!"

"I don't care. I need to show you something." "I know this is your father, and I know that this is hard, but you have to pull it together. You can't go around cussing at patients."

"Ok. I have to show you something." "And you can't-" "I said Ok! Come with me!" I pull him by the hand toward the Skills Lab. "What?" He asks exasperatedly. I can tell he wasn't done with his rant, but I was.

"First, you're gonna get mad at me, first you're probably gonna hate me, but.. This is possibly one of the greatest medical findings ever." He rolls his eyes, crossing his arms and laughing. "Right." "Will," I whine and he sighs.

"What is it?" I turn on my microscope, and take out Mr. Edwards' blood from my pocket, as well as my own. "Ok. This blood is compromised with GRID, it comes from a thirty-eight year old gay male. This blood is clean, and comes from a fifteen-year old straight female." His eyes widen.

"What have you done." He growls under his breath. I sigh, poking my lip out a little. "Just look what happens when they mix." "Put the blood down, before you catch GRID."

"Please just look." "Junior." "Please." I half whisper, and he groans. "Fuck," He curses as he leans over and peers into the eyepiece of the microscope.

"Now look what happens when I place a drop of GRID infected male blood into my female blood." He is quiet for a moment before he looks up at me, his eyes wide with wonder. "No fucking way," He breathes. "I know! The virus completely invades the fresh blood!"

He sighs. "It's brilliant, right? Amazing! I can prove GRID is fraud!" "Slow down, you have all sorts of tests to do to prove this thing. You need to see how exactly the virus spreads, the stages of the disease, prevention, the effects on the human body..." "I need a clinical trial! With real patients!" I gush, and he groans.