Eighteen -

A WEEK LATER:

Nathan's POV -

I hadn't really bothered to get into contact with Rachel since our conversation; she seems to think that I'm the one who needs to grow up. Maybe she should look at herself, then question again who needs to grow up.

Don't get me wrong, she's my best friend and I want her to be happy, but she's never going to be happy with Tom because it's never going to work between them.

They're always going to be running from something, and they're never going to be able to have a normal life. Tom was her History teacher and she was his student, everyone is going to know that.

The baby is going to be continuously stuck in the middle of everything, being brought into a work where both its parents were wanted by the police for their relationship.

And, as for marriage, that's totally the wrong idea. They might not even be together in six months time, then where are they both going to be.

Nowhere and they'll have absolutely nothing to fall back on.

"Nathan!" Jess shouted up the stairs suddenly.

"Yeah?" I replied, opening the bedroom door at the same time.

"You've got a letter here and, from the writing, it looks like it could be from Rachel..." Jess said.

As soon as she had said that, I ran down the stairs to see what it was and what the hell she had written - see, the ignoring each other works both ways, she hasn't bothered to get in contact with me either since our discussion, so this is a bit of a shock.

Jess handed me the envelope, which hadn't been sealed properly anyway, and I looked at the front of it; the unmistakable handwriting lying before my eyes and my name written so neatly and carefully. Her famous love heart was used a full stop rather than as a way of dotting the 'I' for which she had been told off for many times.

I broke what remained of the seal, removing the piece of paper and opening it up to see what she had to say to me and if it was even worth reading.

To Nath,

I'm sorry that everything ended up this way. You were, and still are, my best friend. You were there when no one else was, you picked me up when I was down and you made me feel human again; I'm going to miss you more than anything.

Thank you for being there throughout everything and never leaving me, even when I acted like a complete twat to you and everyone else; you still stuck by me and wanted to be there for me. I'll never know how to re-pay for that.

By the time you read this, I'll be on my way to the airport because I need to get away from everything right now.

I guess, in the end, you were right. I can't handle marriage or a baby if I can't even finish school. Although, you might be pleased to know, Tom told me it was over last night and he never wanted to see me again - I get all the luck.

Hopefully I'll see you again soon, don't miss me too much and never forget me. I'll always love you in my own way and, if I'd never met Tom again, then I probably would have dated you - now you can laugh at me.

All my love and hugs,

Rachel xxx

"Jess, if mum asks, tell her I've gone out." I shouted as I grabbed my phone, quickly dialling Rachel's number as I did so, and car keys from the side; I only passed my driving test yesterday, which was a bloody good thing as well.