Chapter 24 - Family Photos

-----------------------------

Amelia's Point Of View

-----------------------------

I saw Rick sprint around a semi truck towards the sound of the gunshot.

"Rick!" I yelled. I got off of Merle and ran after him, hearing Merle calling me a stupid bitch in the process. By the time I go around the semi truck I saw Rick crouched down by a body.

It was the man in the helmet.

I turned to my right to see Carl with a panicky look on his face, his eyes locked on the man. He seemed to be hyperventilating a little bit.

"Carl honey," I spoke soothingly trying not to alarm him. "You need to sit down. We don't need you having a panic attack." I put a hand on his shoulder. Carl nodded slowly, backed up and sat on a little cement block, not taking his eyes on the man. I smiled at him reassuringly and turned to Rick, who was removing the man's helmet.

"Shit..." I heard Rick say under his breath.

"What now?" Merle asked, putting emphasis on the word now.

"I know this man..." Rick replied quietly. I crouched down beside him to get a better look at the man. I've never seen him before in my life. "Luckily he's not dead.." The man was wearing a bulletproof vest so he was just unconscious.

"Who is he?" I asked.

"Who gives a shit?" Merle asked. "Just leave 'em so we can look fer Daryl."

"Shut the hell up Merle." I said, getting pissed off with his attitude. "You got us into this mess asshole."

"I ain't g-" Merle started.

"Shut up both of you!" Rick yelled slightly. "Now help me take him inside."

"Dad." Carl spoke up. "I'm going to go to the baby store moms friend used to own."

"Carl-" Rick started.

"Judith needs a crib." Carl said. Rick still doesn't seem convinced. "It's just around the corner."

Rick was about to speak when I cut him off. "I'll go with him." Rick gave me a worried look. "We'll be fine Rick." He nodded in permission. I turned to Carl and we walked towards the store.

----------------------------

Rick's Point Of View

----------------------------

I didn't feel that it was the best idea for Amelia and Carl to go off alone but Judith DID need a crib. I just hope they'll be ok.

I watched them walk away until they turned the corner.

"We movin' em or what?" Merle asked slightly irritated. I scowled at him and grabbed Morgan's legs while Merle grabbed his arms. Together we carried him upstairs, dodging multiple traps along the way.

When we got upstairs we were speechless to see Daryl tied up on the floor. Merle and I stood there holding Morgan with our jaws dropped.

"You gonna help me or you just gonna fuckin' stand there?" Daryl asked.

Merle and I laid Morgan on the little bed in the room before I walked over to Daryl and cut the zip ties around his wrists and ankles with my pocket knife. I held my hand out and Daryl grabbed it as I pulled him up.

"Good to know you're alright." I smiled as I clamped a hand on his back. He gave a small smile before he winced, holding his right thigh. "What happened to you?" I asked.

"Son of a bitch stabbed my thigh." Daryl grunted, motioning towards Morgan.

"Any reason?" I asked.

"Long story." Daryl simply replied. He limped over towards Merle and gave him a slight smile before nearly falling down. Merle caught him before he hit the floor.

"Sit down before you break yer leg Darylina." Merle grunted, shoving him into a wooden chair. Daryl rolled his eyes not saying anything, obviously not wanting to start an argument over the name he was called.

"When are we leavin?" Daryl asked. "I'm sick of this place." He said looking around.

"When Amelia and Carl get back." I said.

"What're they doin'?" He asked.

"Getting Judith a crib from a store that one of L-" I couldn't even get her name out. "They're getting a crib" I turned away from the Dixon brothers so they couldn't see my sorrow that was eating me alive. I looked at the writing on the walls but one in particular caught my eye. Duane Turned. I wiped my face with my hand. Poor Morgan. First his wife and now his son. It hurt to think of the little boy that I now know of as dead. It's hard picturing Duane as a walker.

---------------------------

Amelia's Point of View

---------------------------

I walked with Carl down the sidewalk until I realized he kept walking past the baby store.

"Um. Carl," I said. "You passed the store."

Carl turned around. "I know," He said. "There's just something I've got to do first." Carl kept walking.

I sped up to him. "What are we doing first?" I asked.

"I have to do it alone." Carl said, not looking at me.

"Well that's not going to happen." I scoffed. He turned to me. "Carl, I have to make sure you're safe."

"I have to do it alone." He repeated. "Just go get the crib and I'll meet you back there."

"Not going to happen Carl." I said.

"Fine!" Carl said raising his voice. "We're going to the cafe."

"Why there?" I asked.

"You'll see." He replied.

We kept walking for about 5 minutes until we came across the cafe. I looked through the windows on the doors. There were like 10 walkers in there! Carl started opening the door before I shut it quickly.

"Are you crazy?!" I asked him. "You'll get killed if you go in there!"

"I need to get this!" Carl said.

"Fine..." I thought of a plan. "Tell me what you want and I'll get it for you." Carl was about to argue. "You don't have any other options Carl." He pointed at a picture on the wall in the cafe. "Stay here."

I left Carl at the front doors as I snuck around the back. There was a dead rat lying on the ground outside the back door. That gave me an idea. I took the knife out from my pocket and stabbed the rat so it stuck to the knife. I opened the door and flung the dead rat past the walkers. When they caught a whiff of it's scent they scrambled after it. I snuck past them and grabbed the photograph that Carl wanted. I snuck out without being detected and met Carl out front.

"Piece of cake." I said, handing Carl the photograph.

"How'd you get it so fast?" He asked.

"I've got ninja skills. Duh." I faked a Kung fu move to make Carl laugh. "What picture did you want anyway?" He showed me the picture. It was Rick Lori and Carl smiling at the camera. I smiled.

"I just thought Judith would want to see what her mom looked like." Carl looked as if he was on the verge of tears.

"C'mon," I said, putting a hand on his back. "Let's go get that crib."