Chapter 6 - Baby Run

I stood there covering my sobs with my hand.

I didn't know what to do. I couldn't help Rick or Carl get through their pain.

Rick stormed off into the prison.

"Rick!" I screamed.

"Just let im' go" Daryl said holding my arm. "I can't let you go in there."

I sighed, knowing he wouldn't let me go. "Alright." I pulled him into a hug. He hesitated for a moment, as if he wasn't used to touch. But he wrapped his arms around me slowly.

Daryl dropped his arms ad walked over to Beth. He whispered something to her and glanced at Carl. She nodded in return.

"What are we going to feed the baby?" Maggie asked.

"She needs some baby formula soon." Hershel replied, taking the baby from Maggie.

"I make a run now." Daryl stated.

"I'll come with you." I said. Maggie opened her mouth to oblige, but I stopped her. "Maggie, it's ok. Stay here with your family." She nodded.

I turned around to Daryl. He smirked and we walked over to his motorcycle.

"Amelia!" Maggie yelled as she came running towards us. "There's a daycare about 2 miles from here." She said as she squinted against the sun. "And thank you."

"No problem." I smiled. With that she hugged me and skipped of to see Glenn.

"You ready?" Daryl asked. I grabbed his waist and nodded.

We drove until we found a tiny little daycare. I hopped off the motorcycle and looked through the daycare window. It looked as if it was untouched. I figured no one had been in there since the outbreak.

"Watch out." Daryl said.

I backed away from the window. He kicked I and it shattered into pieces.

"Nice." I smiled.

We climbed through the window and checked for any biters.

I looked through cabinets and found 6 cans of powdered baby formula. That was enough for the baby to last a month if we portioned it right.

"Daryl." I said, ready to leave.

No answer.

I walked into the classroom and saw him standing there, looking at one of the paper hands.

It read, Sofie.

"Did you know her?" I asked. He shook his head. "Did you know a girl named Sofie?"

He shook his head once more. "Sophia. Carols daughter. She went missing and I was one of the people who actually went lookin' for her."

Daryl turned around to face me. His eyes were filled with pain.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him down to sit in a chair.

"I didn't give up on her, like the rest of 'em." His face turned angry. "Only to find her dead." He slammed his fist on the table and ran a hand through his hair.

I put a hand on his shoulder. I wasn't good with sympathy. I looked into his eyes.

Daryl was a complex person. He kept every thing in the inside. He never spoke to anyone about his feelings. Anyone, but me.

I leaned in and kissed him on the lips. He looked at me with confusion.

Just as I thought I lost my chance, he pulled me in for another.

His hand tangled in my hair. As I pulled away slowly, I saw slight happiness in his eyes.

I grabbed the basket of baby formula.

"We should probably go." I spoke up.

"Uh... Yeah." He replied.

With that, Daryl and I climbed out the window and hopped back onto the motorcycle.