Chapter 4 - Hunting

I picked up my bow and sheath of arrows. I really wanted to go hunting.

I hopped down from my bunk and walked outside the prison from the hole in the fence.

There was a nice pudgy squirrel sitting on a tree branch eating an acorn. I loaded my bow, trying to be as quiet as possible. I aimed at its head.

This had to be perfect.

Just as I was about to let go of my arrow, another arrow shot past my head and hit the squirrel dead in the eye. I whipped my head around to see Daryl with his crossbow.

"What're ya doin Am? He asked. I cringed at the nickname. Shane used to call me that.

"Hunting." I replied simply.

"Looks like you got a new huntin partner." He said as he walked passed me. He collected his arrow from his game and shoved the squirrel inside his pack.

Oh joy.

"How 'bout a huntin' contest?" Daryl suggested.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Like, who ever kills the most animals in 20 minutes wins." He replied.

"Well what would I get if I won?" I asked.

He paused before speaking.

"Nothin'" he smirked. "You get the privilege of being my huntin' partner. Win or lose."

"You're on." I said. "What do we kill? Any specific animal?"

"Squirrels." He said. "Just squirrels."

"Alright." I got my bow and arrows ready. "On three?"

Daryl nodded.

"One..... Two..... Three!" I yelled.

We both sprinted into the wilderness.

I stopped running and looked at my surroundings. All trees. The perfect place for squirrels to live.

I turned to my right to see 2 squirrels lined up on a tree branch. I walked into a better position.

I pulled an arrow out of my sheath. I would only need one.

I was lined up to where one squirrel was behind the other. I pulled back on my bow and let the arrow fly.

It went cleanly through both of the squirrels heads.

Jackpot!

When I collected my game, I started walking again.

Nature was really beautiful. I had lived in the city with Shane after my parents died, so I never got to see nature much

Oh squirrels. Where are you?

Just then, I saw a squirrel digging in the dirt. I shot it and moved on.

I sat down in the grass and leaned my back against a tree. I really enjoyed just sitting here.

3 squirrels. I thought. I wonder how many Daryl has killed...

I heard leaves rustle and I turned immediately. It was just another squirrel. I pulled an arrow out of my sheath and loaded my bow.

I pulled back on my bow. Just as my arrow went flying, I heard hundreds of twigs crack.