Chapter 14 - Armless

My eyes fluttered open. I saw Rick sitting on a chair next to the bunk I was laying on.

"Morning Sunshine." He said smiling.

I groaned and tried to sit up, but just fell right back down. What the hell? Oh yeah. I don't have a right arm anymore.

Rick grabbed my left hand and propped me up against the cell wall.

"Thanks." I muttered, annoyed that I couldn't even sit up. "How long have I been out?"

Rick thought about it for a moment. "Two days."

"Two days?!?" I was so shocked. It felt like I had been out for five minutes. "What happened while I was out?"

Ricks expression was stone hard. I knew something had happened.

"Rick. What happened?" I asked.

"Glenn and Maggie were taken captive by Daryl's brother Merle." He paused. "And we found a woman named Michonne. She knows where Merle is holding them. It's a place called Woodbury." He finished.

I didn't know what to say. Maggie and I were really close, and now she's missing. Glenn was my friend, and he's gone too.

"When are we leaving?" I asked.

"You're not going anywhere." Rick said, seriously. "You're to weak. You jut lost your arm. You can't come. Daryl, Michonne, and I are heading out in an hour."

"Rick, I need to come! Glenn and Maggie are-" I started.

"No Amelia. I'm not letting you come." Rick broke me off. "Don't even think about following us."

"Fine." I muttered. "What can I do while you're gone?"

"I don't know." He said. "Help with chores, the baby, anything really."

Rick stood up and walked out, leaving me alone.

Ugh! Now that I'm missing an arm, everyone is going to treat me different. I'm still the same old Amelia.

I put pressure on my left arm, so I could get up. I was a righty, so using my left arm would take some getting used to.

Once I had finally gotten off the bunk, I walked out to where the rest of the group was. I saw Beth, Carl (who was holding Judith), Hershel, and Carol sitting down socializing. I turned to my right and saw, Rick, Daryl, and a black woman who I guessed was Michonne, getting weapons together.

Daryl turned around and saw me looking at them. He started walking in my direction. When he reached me, he pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my one arm around him.

"How are ya?" Daryl asked.

"Ok, I guess." I replied. "I have a feeling people are going to treat me different though."

"I won'." He said, nudging my left arm.

"Thanks." I said.

"No problem." Daryl turned back to Rick, who was calling him over. "We're leavin' now I guess. See ya later."

He kissed my forehead and walked back over to Rick an Michonne.

I skipped over to Hershel. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked.

"Sure thing." Hershel replied.

We walked away from the group.

"How does it feel?" I asked. "When you lose a limb."

"It feels like its still there." He said. "Look at my leg."

I did as I was told and looked at his stump of a leg.

"Right now." Hershel said. "I'm wiggling my toes."

"I'm wiggling my fingers..." I said, glumly.

"Don't worry about it, Amelia. You get used to it."

Hershel patted my shoulder and walked back to the group.

I didn't know what I was supposed to do while Rick, Daryl, and Michonne were gone.

I guess I could help with the baby. Wait. Nope. Judith is asleep. I could help with cleaning clothes. No again. I can't scrub with one arm.

I have nothing to do for the group while they're gone. I walked over to my cell and sat on the bottom bunk, since I couldn't climb up to get on the top.

Think. That was all I could do. It didn't require anything physical. Which was what I needed.

What if Rick and Daryl don't make it back? What if they die?

Damn. I was such a pessimist.

I heard a blood curling scream and I immediately jumped up. I ran to the rest of the group.

"I have to go." Carl said to Hershel.

"I can't let you do that." He replied.

"It's what my dad would do." Carl said.

Hershel nodded in defeat.

"I'm going with you Carl." I spoke up. "You'll need back up."

Carl looked at me and nodded, but Hershel wasn't happy.

"Now, you can't go. You just lost your arm!" He protested.

"You can't stop me." I retorted.

I grabbed my dagger and stormed out of the cell block with Carl. We raced down the halls until we saw a group of 5 people fighting off walkers. One was a woman who was bitten.

Carl shot down the remaining walkers.

"C'mon!" I yelled. "Hurry!"

With that we all ran down the halls again. The bitten woman was slowing us down and walkers were gaining on us.

"You have to leave her!" Carl yelled.

"No way!" A big black man yelled back. He jammed his crowbar into he head of a walker.

We all started running down the halls again. When we arrived back at the cell block, a man laid the bitten woman down on the floor. She had died right as we entered.

Carl pointed his gun at her head. "I'll take care of it." He said.

"No." The black man said. "We handle our own."

Carl and I walked out of that area, into the cell block. Carl closed the door and locked it.

The black girl came up to the door.

"This area is secure. You're safe. You have food and water." I said.

"You can't just keep us in here!" She yelled. "We're not animals!"

"Sasha!" The black man said. "We're in there house. Let 'em be." They both walked away from the door, back to the woman on the floor.

"Shouldn't we help them?" Beth asked.

"I did." Carl replied. I started walking back to my cell when I heard Ricks voice.

"Carl!" He yelled.

Carl opened the door for his father.

Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, and Rick came in. No Daryl.

"Where's Daryl?" I asked worriedly.

"He was captured." Rick said. "We came back to get more weapons.

"Captured?" I asked.

"Yeah. We're leaving now. Lets go!"

Just like they had entered Rick, Glenn, Maggie, and Michonne left.

I waited until the group went to there cells and I raced after Rick with my dagger at hand. They were starting the pick up truck and I hopped in the bed of the truck right as they drove off.