Chapter 29 - The News

"Rick," I watched him turn around to look at me. His lips curved into a smile, until he saw I wasn't smiling back. "Can we go somewhere private? I need to talk to you." Rick furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, but nodded anyway.

I felt his hand brush against mine, a sign that he wanted me to hold his hand, but I didn't. I didn't grasp it and hold on to it like my life depended on it. I just left it there to hang alone by his side.

I led him to the cell that I share with Daryl and sat down in a metal folding chair by a small desk in the corner of the cell. Rick stood in the doorway leaning against the frame, string at me with a worried and confused expression.

"Sit." I said pointing at the bed. "Believe me, you're going to need to." Rick walked over to the bed, his eyes not leaving mine, and sat down.

"Amelia what's going on?" He asked, worry etching his voice. "You're kind of freaking me out."

I sighed. "When Carl and I were outside the prison, we found this." I handed him the sleek black diary.

Rick glanced down at the cover and looked back up at me. "It's just a book." He said, raising an eyebrow. "what's the big deal?"

"It's not 'just a book.'" I said, folding my arms across my chest. "Actually, it's not a book at all. It's a diary."

"So what?" Rick asked, still completely lost. I rolled my eyes.

"Read the first entry." I sighed. "I think you'll understand after."

I watched Rick as he opened to the first entry and began to read. I watched as his eyes followed along with the words written on the paper. I watched as Rick's eyes widened when he finished reading the entry. He looked up at me, eyes still wide.

"Do you really think-?" Rick started, before I cut him off.

"That's it's my little cousin Stacie?" I finished for him. "Yes Rick, I do. That's what I wanted to talk to you about." I held out my hand and shook it, waiting for him to give me the diary. Once he handed it to me, I opened it up to the last entries made in the diary. "I had read all of the entries that Stacie made in this and the last two are important."

I flipped to the second to last entry, which was about half way through the diary, and pointed to the sentence that made everything change. I read it aloud to Rick.

"'Recently, we've had threats to our safety. The Governor, a man who runs a town called Woodbury, says either we leave or he kills us all. We don't want to risk the lives of our group since we're a tiny group already, so we are going to leave. We're going to Florida to live on the coast. Apparently there is a rescue camp down there. Anything is safer than here. We are leaving tomorrow morning.'"

I glanced up at Rick. He was completely silent. He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off by flipping the page and reading the last entry.

"The Governor lied. He lied by saying he wouldn't hurt us unless we left. We're leaving, but his people are coming to kill us. We are leaving right now, hopefully before-" I stopped reading and looked up at Rick. He sat there staring back at me.

"Before what?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know." I said. "It just ends there. And considering I never saw her body or her as a walker, they must've gotten out."

"Amelia," Rick said staring at me, his eyes locked with mine. "what are you saying?" I sighed and forced a fake smile.

"I'm leaving the prison."