Chapter 5 - The Gift of Life and Death

I whipped my head around to see hundreds of biters stumbling towards me.

Towards the prison.

Towards my friends.

I got up and sprinted to the prison and went trough the hole in the fence.

Would they be able to get in? Can they get past the fence?

I stopped in the field and turned around. The biters approached the fence. They pushed and pushed, but couldn't get in.

I let out a deep breath and collapsed on the ground.

That was a close one.

I laid there and looked at the clouds for a while.

I saw Daryl come out of the wilderness. He looked solemn. I couldn't see any expression on his face.

I was just happy he was alive. Just happy that herd of biters didn't get to him.

Biters still lined the fence. Daryl shot his way in without being bitten or scratched.

I sat up and watched the guys haul in firewood.

"Glenn!" I heard Daryl yell.

Glenn came out of the guard tower, buckling his pants while wearing no shirt. Maggie followed with her shirt and hair all messed up.

I burst into laughter. So did all of the guys.

"You comin'?" Daryl yelled.

"What?" Glenn yelled back.

"I said, are you comin'?"

"Oh... Uh... Yeah! I'll be right down!"

Glenn and Maggie disappeared back into the guard tower.

I looked across the field and got eye contact with Daryl. He smirked at me and got back to hauling firewood.

Once Glenn joined them with the firewood, Lori, Beth, Carl, and Hershel came out of the prison.

Rick and Lori looked into each others eyes. I could see the heat and passion in their smiles. They were falling back in love.

"Walkers!" Carl yelled.

I saw that there were hundreds of biters coming towards them. I whipped my head back around to the fence.

Almost all the biters had disappeared.

How could I have let this happen?

I saw Rick screaming for Lori and Carl as he sprinted to get to them.

I ran as fast as I could to get to Beth and Hershel, who were defenseless.

I shot the biter that was right behind Beth.

"In here!" I yelled to them.

We sprinted to an empty cage.

Beth and I were in while Hershel was going as fast as he could with his one leg.

"Daddy behind you!" Beth screamed.

Before I could even lift up my crossbow, Hershel whacked the biter in the head and stumbled into the cage.

I saw Carl, Lori, and Maggie run into the prison. I just hope they get to the cell block safely. Lori would have that baby any day now.

Rick sprinted towards us.

"Where are they?" He slightly yelled.

"They went into the prison." Beth said.

"Carol and T-Dog?" He asked.

"Haven't seen them." Hershel said.

"Alright stay here." Rick ordered.

"No!" I yelled. " I want to come with you! You're my only family left!"

"I'll be fine! Stay put!" And with that Rick, Daryl, and Glenn raced into the prison.

I sank down to the ground and laid my chin on my knees. I sobbed quietly.

"This is all my fault." I cried. "I knew I should have killed all the biters!"

Beth put a hand on my shoulder. "It's not your fault. This would've happened with anyone."

"Yes. Don't blame yourself. I would've done the same." Hershel replied.

I nodded. Tears still streaming down my face. We sat in silence until Rick, Daryl, and Glenn showed up again.

"You didn't find them?" Beth asked.

"No we thought they'd have come back out here." Daryl said.

"Alright, we'll go back to look for-" Rick was cut off by the sound of Carl, Maggie and a baby walking out of the prison.

No Lori.

I knew what had happened. Lori had died during child birth. I put a hand over my mouth to cover my sobs.

Carl was as sad as I have ever seen him.

"No!" Rick yelled. He broke into sobs and fell to the floor. "Nooo!"

We all stood there, heads down, in the prison courtyard.