Chapter 30 - Final Goodbyes

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Rick exclaimed, jumping up from his seat on the bed. I stood up also.

"Exactly what I said." I replied. "I am leaving the prison to find Stacie." I walked out of the cell, away from Rick, only to have him follow me.

Everyone in the group stopped what they were doing and watched Rick and I walk by, including Daryl who was upstairs leaning against the railing. I haven't seen or talked to him since... that happened. I don't know how he's going to take this news either.

Rick grabbed my arm and I turned around to face him, everyone was still watching us. I watched as he looked around and saw that everyone was staring. He dragged me outside so we could talk some more.

"Rick let go!" I pried his hand from my arm and scowled at him. "There's nothing left to talk about. I'm leaving and going to Florida."

"Not by yourself, you're not." He denied. I shook my head.

"An who's gonna come with me Rick? You?" He looked at me uncertain. "No, you have people to protect, and two children. And I'm not going to risk anyone else's lives either. No one is leaving with me. It's my family. Not theirs."

"We can all go with you-" He pleaded.

"No Rick." I cut him off. "No. If we all started traveling somewhere we would attract walkers. I'm not risking that. You're all safe here. I'll be ok. I know how to protect myself." I pulled him into a hug. Rick hugged back and lingered for a while.

We pulled apart when we heard the door open. I turned to see Daryl at the door. He stared at Rick and I for a moment, gave a small nod of sadness, and turned to go back inside.

"Daryl." I said, before he disappeared behind the door. I sighed. "I'll see you later Rick. I have to go say goodbyes." I forced a smile and walked inside the prison.

When I entered, everyone was in the same place they were when I went outside. Besides Daryl of course, who now was sitting at a table in the dining area. They were all staring at me again.

They knew something was up.

"Well, while I have everyone's attention I might as well say what I need to say." Everyone started to gather and form a semi circle around me. I cleared my throat. "I'm leaving the prison. I have family members heading to Florida for a rescue camp there. I'm going to find them and be with them."

There was silence. A deafening silence.

"They might not even be alive." Carol spoke, her voice breaking the silence in the room.

"They are." I replied back with authority. "I have proof they are. They lived here in the prison and left about two months ago. We never saw their bodies or them as walkers so I know they got out."

"But that was two months ago," Maggie spoke up. "there is a strong chance they could've died."

"Well. It's a risk I have to take." I said with a nod. "They are my real family. I hope you guys understand my reasoning for leaving. I'm leaving at dawn tomorrow. " Everyone gave small nods of sadness and dispersed quietly.

Daryl stare lingered on me for a minute before he shook his head and walked to our cell. I frowned and followed him.

"I can't believe you." Daryl said right as I walked into the cell. He was sitting in the small folding chair, arms crossed. "How can you just leave? Especially after what happened between you and me a couple days ago! How can you do that?"

"Daryl, they're my family. My blood family. You expect me just to pass up an opportunity to see them again?" I asked, pleading with him. "Daryl, I'm sorry I'm leaving things this way, I truly am, but I can't change any of the mistakes I've made in the past. I can't fix them. And I'm not trying to run away from my problems, it's just.. They're the only family I have left Daryl. I have to find them... You would do the same if it was your family."

Daryl just stared at me.

"You don't have to go." He spoke. "You can stay here, and we can work out all your problems then we can all go together-"

"No Daryl." I said. "I have to go now. Otherwise who knows what could happen to them. And I already told Rick, I'm not risking anyone's lives. They're my family and my responsibilities."

Daryl sighed and got up from the chair. He tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back with the same amount of force. When we pulled apart, I climbed up into the top bunk of the bed.

"Goodnight, Daryl." I said.

"Goodnight, Amelia."

***

I got up even earlier than planned to pack up all of my things. I packed my clothes, some food, water, my bow, a pistol with full ammo, and my family pictures. Tears ran down my cheeks as I put everything into a large duffle bag we had found weeks ago in the prison. I wiped my face and sighed heavily before walking out into the dining area where everyone was.

I tried to smile pleasantly at everyone, but I'm pretty sure they all saw that I wasn't ok. I quickly ate some of the eggs that Hershel and Beth had made and put my plate with the others. Everyone was already walking outside, waiting for me to go my separate way.

I took one more good look at the inside of the prison and thought of all the memories that happened. I wiped my eyes yet again, having brought tears because of my happy thoughts. I stepped outside and walked to the gates of the prison.

I looked at everyone in front of me. Rick, Daryl, Carl, Judith, Allison, Maggie, Glenn, Hershel, Beth, Carol, Merle, and Michonne.

I hugged them all, tears stinging my eyes.

"I'm going to miss you guys." I choked out. "You guys were the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and I am so thankful for the time we've had together." I paused, searching for the right words. "Protect yourselves. I hope one day we can cross paths again. I love you guys."

Glenn and Rick pulled the wires and opened the gates for me to exit. Before I walked out, Carl ran up to me and engulfed me in a hug.

"Thank you." He whispered into my chest. "Thank you for being like a mother to me, since my mom isn't here."

I hugged Carl as tight as I possibly could. "You protect your sister, you hear me?" I whispered back. "You be the best big brother Judith could ever ask for." He nodded and released me.

"I guess this is finally goodbye." I choked on the huge lump in my throat. "I love you guys."

And finally I turned away from them. I walked out of the prison walls and watched the gate close behind me, making my friends disappear from my view completely.

That's when I realized..

I'm all on my own.