Chapter 45

A familiar form appeared, panting and right in front of you. A gasp left your mouth, and the person traveled closer to you. Guilt ate at your conscience, and you glanced away. "I...I meant Dino.. Not you, Hibari."

"You called me." The Cloud Guardian glared you down, though concern still danced in his optics.

You shifted yourself away from him, crushing the note as you balled up your hands. You heard him walk closer to you, causing you to direct your gaze to the floor. You couldn't look at him; it pained your heart so much if you made eye contact with him.

After a moment of silence, you heard another pair of feet heading this way, stealing your attention away from the situation. You noticed another person rounding the corner, and you sighed loudly at the coincidence. "[Name], I heard a scream!"

"Tsuna." Your voice was but a whisper as you mentally cursed at your predicament.

The sepia colored orbs widened as they landed on his Cloud Guardian. He tried not to jump to conclusions as he stared at the both of you. "Are you alright?"

You held back your tremors, taking a deep breath, "I was hungry, and I--"

"You called my name," Hibari rebutted.

"Because old habits die hard. I'm always screaming for Hibari to feed me, so yeah," you lied, averting your eyes from the two males. You continued to crumble the mail in your hands until it was nonexistent to anyone's line of sight.

Hibari scoffed, brushing past you and brushing his arm against your shoulder. He obviously didn't believe your story, but his impatience won over, causing him to hastily leave the hallway. It was the same with Tsuna when it came to not believing you, but he was willing to stay and hear you out.

"Do you want come inside?" He pointed towards his office with a small smile. "Or do you need to eat first before you talk with me?"

"I want to eat first. I'll be sure to visit you later on today."

He nodded before turning on his heel to leave. You grumbled under your breath as you returned to your room, not knowing how exactly you escaped this predicament. You threw yourself onto the bed, groaning into your pillow as you thought about what to do next. Should you casually tell Tsuna about the threatening letter? No, that wouldn't exactly help. You had asked him about the Ancelet family's status on multiple occasions. He and the rest of his guardians ensured you that they were no more, but the pit of your stomach was telling you that there's something everybody missed.

What if something happened to you because of this? You chewed on your lip as you propped yourself on your elbows. You relaxed your hand to find the crumbled mail, and you smoothed it out enough to read it again. It seemed that Hibari played a major role in this situation, but if he didn't warn Tsuna about the Ancelets, then he probably doesn't know about the Ancelets being alive..

You reached out to grab your laptop, placing it in front of you as you opened a new document. You began to type away your thoughts on the situation, your analysis on what you believed to be happening, titling the document 'If'. It took you almost two hours to break down the information and finally come to a conclusion about it all.

There was a knock on the door, causing you to save and hide the document deep inside your laptop. With a heavy sigh, you ran towards the door and opened it quickly, "I---... OH! FON!"

The Hibari look alike bowed, "Hello, nice to see you again."

"Yeah, nice to see you too. Come on in," you widened the gap, allowing him inside you room before shutting the door. "I didn't expect to see you again."

"Well, I have heard about your misfortunes, and I wanted to offer my apologies about your grandfather," he began as he sat on the desk. You sat across from him on your bed and gave a small smile, quietly thanking him for his kind words. "I also wanted to see how you are faring since your break from Hibari."

"Uhhh..That-- Hmm, I think I'm okay so far."

"Are you sure? You seem distressed about something."

You scratched the top of your scalp, laughing nervously at the question. "Well, I'm with Dino now. Everything is good."

"It sounds like you rehearsed that line a lot, young one."

"I didn't!....Um, I don't think I did."

He laughed, "There is nothing wrong with that. I can see you are just trying to look for a type of permanent happiness somewhere. You had that with your grandfather, and you believed that it would be with Hibari Kyoya."

You eyes widened as the baby accurately observed your whole life. "Yeah, but he made it clear that he isn't my 'permanent' happiness."

"From what I heard, you didn't give him a chance."

"I DID!"

His smile didn't falter, but he remained silent as you squirmed in your chair.

"Maybe I didn't, but he shouldn't have said that! He wanted to leave me--"

"Has Hibari Kyoya ever taken change in a positive manner?" Fon hummed.

"Well, no, but still!"

"He acted out of fury, and you acted out of hurt. Neither of you were thinking clearly, and when you finally calmed your emotions, you were already in the arms of another man. I wonder if you hold some sort of regret inside you."

"Fon," you whimpered as he hit one of the sorest spots inside of you. "I'm such a bad person."

"No one expects you to be perfect. We make mistakes, and that is how we learn in life. It is a painful process, but it results in bliss, emotions you would have never felt without the painful steps. [Name], it is up to you to grab a hold of those reigns and begin making decisions you know is right."

You felt the warm tears slip down your cheek as the weight of your burdens lifted. "We barely speak to each other, Fon. Why are you helping me?"

"Because you are family."

You didn't completely understand his answer, but you were immersed in his advice, applying it to everything in your life. "Thank you, Fon." You embraced the baby, holding him tight as more tears escaped. "I still can't be around him now since he detests me so much, but I do hope one day we can reconcile."

The little moment was interrupted by another knock on the door, and it was Gokudera on the other side. "[Name], Tenth is worried that you haven't visited. We need to talk about the mission tomorrow."

You wiped the tears with help from the baby, "I'll see you later, Fon."

>>>>>>>>

You tapped your foot animatedly against the concrete floor, a nervous feeling spreading throughout your body. Although you were adamant about not receiving help from the guardians yesterday at the meeting, you now wished you had asked for help. You were somewhat worried of what could happen, especially after you came to the conclusion that the Ancelets were out to kill you... and that you were going to break up with Dino today.

"Stay positive." You stated to yourself over and over again. You set up the date with Dino through text, and you were waiting for him to call you back. You felt guilt that you were going to break up with him, but at the same time, you were relieved. It was all going to be over soon, and you were going to walk your own path in the way YOU want to. It might hurt Dino, but if you continued on, it would destroy the both of you. You were ready for this, and you were ready for the mission. 

"I'm going to be fine," you said to yourself. 

"Ok, time for your mission." Reborn patted your back. "You'll be alright."

"Thanks." You straightened your back as you began to exit the base, "I'll let you know when I'm done, and tell you how successful I was."

You left believing every single thing would go your way that day.

That nothing bad would actually happen.

That Dino and you would be okay after the break up.

That Kyoya and you would be together again.

But life never went the way you wanted.