Chapter 39

Phone calls in the middle of the night were never a good sign, and when Kyoya's phone rang during the fourth night in Italy, your heart sped up. Many questions rang through your mind as you watched him growl and snatch the ringing device with the intent to kill. His trademark smirk appeared as the person on the other line spoke, and the mixed feelings of relief and worry plagued your body.

"I'll be back." He slipped out of the king-sized bed you both shared and briskly traveled over to the closet to cloth himself. As he sported his usual business attire, he resumed walking out without telling you anything, despite your best efforts in questioning the man. He didn't say a word as to what made him leave at such a late hour.

After moments of pondering, you had concluded that the only person who would know was his (as much as he hated to admit to that) boss. You hastily grabbed your phone and speed dialed the chocolate-haired boy. "[Name]?"

"Where did Kyoya head off to?" Your voice was laced with paranoia and exasperation, something that was quite rare when it came to you. "He was smiling when he left...Is he on a mission or is he cheating on me or--"

"Don't worry about him." Tsuna soothed you with his calming voice, and you relaxed into the plush of your bed. "He was looking for some people that have been threatening us. If he was smirking about something at this hour, it must be good."

You nodded as your mind began to clear up, "You're right..."

"If you're still worried, I think Dino is in the city. He can stay with you until Hibari returns," Tsuna hummed. You heard him shift through a stack of papers and scribble down some notes. You noticed that you had interrupted his work over something minor, causing a sting of regret to ebb into your system.

"I'll call him if I have to...I must be bothering you, Tsuna. I'm sorry about that."

He chuckled, "No, no. It's Hibari's fault for leaving you without saying anything."

"Thanks, Tsuna," you sighed as you ended the call. You walked over to the closet and slipped on a heavy coat over your pajamas and a pair of boots. You might have looked ridiculous, but you needed some air to clear your mind.

As you jogged out of your room and down the hallway, you noticed some of the Vongola grunts on edge about something. Tiptoeing around several of them, you ran out the mansion with minimal problems and headed down the driveway and into the streets. You made sure to bring along your trusty taser gun, a gift Gokudera had given you for your birthday, and some pepper spray just in case you ran into any problems.

The center of Sicily was not far from the Vongola Headquarters, just a twenty minute walk in the frigid, winter air. You licked your chapped lips as you entered a more lighted area where very few people still roamed the streets. You noticed a couple of stares from a few bystanders since you were after all a girl by herself. They were probably wondering if you were one of the prostitutes that stalked around, but after a scan of your ridiculous attire and lack of heavy make-up, they ruled out that option.

Your hands found comfort in the heat of your coat pockets, and that was when you noticed you had forgotten your phone. A sigh escaped you as you realized the burden your disappearance you would have on the Vongola mansion. An angry Kyoya never resulted in sunshine and rainbows. It was pure chaos.