Chapter twenty-three: In The Future

Louis:

   The next morning, I was woken up to stomping feet and screaming voices. It could have only been my sisters. I grinned despite my grogginess, pulling one of them by the ankle and pulling her down to me.

On a scale of one to ten, I was at about a thousand at how happy I was to see my sisters. I was absolutely ecstatic about it. I'd missed them a lot, yes, but I had no idea how much I had truly felt without them until they were standing directly in front of me.

And then with my mum... As scared as I was to see her, I'd realized that I'd missed her, too. She was part of my family after all; I just wasn't part of hers. Harry had been right about last night – we had been able to have a civilized conversation.

"Uh...hi," I said softly, closing the door gingerly behind me. I kept my eyes on the ground, not wanting to make even the simplest type of contact with my mother. Was I mad at her? No, not exactly. But was I hurt? Most definitely.

"Oh, my God. Louis. Hi, Louis." Mum's voice was quiet and shaky and, when I finally rounded up enough courage to look up, she was wearing a tiny smile with even tinier tears in her eyes. "Hi, Louis. It's really great to see you."

"Why?" I asked immediately. Enough small talk – I needed answers now. Mum didn't provide one for a while, staying silent, so I spoke more firmly, gritting my teeth. Even though I had the urge to cry, I narrowed my eyes. "Why, Mum?"

Mum sighed, tugging nervously at her fingers. "I was...I was scared something would happen to you," she explained softly. "I was afraid that no one would end up being with you, as a spouse, because there wouldn't be...enough...men like you for you to meet. You needed to know, Louis, that some people aren't going to accept that you're gay."

"Aren't you one of those people?" I said with an edge. "You didn't accept it, either. Mum, you kicked me out. Even before that, you told my sisters not to come near me. Because I was gay. And not only did they believe what you told them; I did too." I started to get upset as I thought about the things I was led to believe. "You told them that I was useless, Mum," I whispered. "They believed it, and I believed it."

Mum began to say something, but I cut her off before any sound came out.

"And I believed that until about four months ago, when I met Harry on the first day of school. He didn't know I was gay. The entire school did and hated me for it, but Harry was different from all of them. He was nice, and he provided something that no one, not even you for God's sake, could give me. And do you know what that is?"

With a shake of her head, Mum took a step back as I raised my voice. It wasn't as if she had any reason to be scared, though, because it wasn't anger that was building up in me. It was just another breakdown waiting to happen. "W-what is it?" she croaked.

"Harry gave me a sense that I wasn't useless to the world, Mum. He showed me that someone cared, and he was that person. He showed me that everything you told me was dead wrong – I'm not useless. I'm not a waste of space. Yeah, I'm called a faggot at school, but Harry didn't make me feel like one."

Mum tried another attempt as interrupting me. I, once again, talked over her. I wasn't crying, not yet, but tears threatened to spill over my eyelids.

"Harry's given me some sort of sense of love, dammit, Mum! I don't know what it is, whether Harry and I are friends or something more that I didn't quite catch, but that's what he's given me. It's what he still is giving me."

I was done. And once Mum had confirmed so, she spoke. "I...I understand, Louis," she murmured. "And I'm truly sorry. I'm so, so sorry." She looked down, nudging the carpet with her tennis shoe clad foot. "And while I'm sure it will take quite an extended amount of time for you to forgive me, I should at least make it clear that I've always loved you. I guess I thought I was just helping you, those couple of years ago. Setting you up for the real world by showing you what it'd be like. But I love you, Boobear, and I'm sorry if I ever made it seem otherwise."