Chapter two: Mood Changes

Harry:

   I was not trying to follow that Louis home. I was looking for him, though. I’d kept an eye out for him all day, but he was on the other half of the school. As soon as the dismissal bell rang I was out the door, searching for the small, timid boy I’d seen this morning.

I couldn’t keep my mind off of him all day. He was quiet, but he gave me the impression that he was bottled up, restricted somehow. I didn’t know what it was that made me feel how I did, but I wanted those bottled feelings to come out. I wanted to untwist that bottle.

I spotted him out in the courtyard, walking quickly down the sidewalk with his head down. He was alone, and it didn’t seem to faze him. I caught up to him, having to slightly jog in order to keep pace with his swift movements.

“Hey, mate,” I smiled, and Louis picked up his head. He stared up at me for a moment, his eyes wide. His eyes were a really pretty blue, bright and alert. His hair had managed to look perfectly tame and messy at the same time, hanging over his eyebrows slightly.

“Harry,” he stated slowly, and I nodded. He cleared his throat, running a hand through his hair and looking away. “What’re you doing here?”

I shrugged, wondering why he was acting so nervous. He wouldn’t slow down; I didn’t know why he was walking in the first place. Couldn’t he drive? “I just…saw you; I thought I’d apologize again.” That was a lie, for I’d nearly forgotten all about what had happened. I felt compelled to see him again.

I heard Louis sigh. Did he not want me to be here? I didn’t want to leave, but I also didn't want him to be uncomfortable. “You bumped into me, Harry. It isn’t a big deal. I’m surprised you haven’t done it again.”

I frowned, taking a few bigger strides. “Why would I do it again?” I questioned. “You’re making very little sense, lad.”

Louis abruptly stopped where he was, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at me. “You don’t…know?” His eyes widened and he shook his head, his brown hair rustling in a way I thought was nice. Before I could ask what I didn’t know, he spoke again. “What did that guy tell you this morning? Remember when he pulled you off?”

I chewed my lip, remembering the senior’s words in my ear. I was a junior; I’d been on the wrong floor. The guy had made it clear that I shouldn’t have been where I was. “I was on the wrong floor; that’s what he told me,” I mumbled.

Oh.” Louis kept walking, but he seemed a little looser. His shoulders weren’t as tense. I was confused, but I was glad he looked better. “He didn’t say anything about me?”

I raised an eyebrow. “No. Why?” I rolled my eyes, groaning as my legs started to hurt. “Do you mind walking a bit slower, mate? You’re acting like someone’s after you.”

Louis slowed down considerably, whispering an apology. “I was just wondering; that’s all. Why’re you following me?”

I shrugged, blushing slightly. In all honestly, I wanted to get to know him better. He was different, quiet, small. I thought it was cute.

Cute… Why was that my adjective for a guy?

“Harry?” Louis persisted, poking my arm. His tone was dead. I couldn’t find any emotion in it.

“Um…do you want me to leave?” I let myself fall a bit behind, ready to turn in the opposite direction if he wanted me to. “Am I bothering you?”

“No. I’m just going home. I don’t know why you’re interested in me. My life isn’t anything special.”

I grinned at the back of his head. “I wouldn’t call it interested, Louis. But why’re you walking? Haven’t you got a car?”