Chapter twenty-six: The Date Part One

Harry:

   Gemma wasn't with us when we went to Doncaster that weekend. Louis drove us in his car. It was really, really nice when it was just us; I sat in the passenger's seat and secretly watched Louis as his head bobbed in sync to the music coming from his internet radio.

Silence took up about eighty percent of the car ride, but that was fine. Just being there with Louis radiated some sort of content throughout the entire vehicle.

We'd only made two stops in the two hours and fifteen minutes we'd been driving – one to take a much needed bathroom break, and then one to feed Louis, who was slightly complaining over his lack of food.

We were riding in complete quietness other than the music now, and when the song that had previously been playing went off, it was quiet then, too.

When the next song came on, the sound of a piano soon echoed through the car and Louis suddenly gasped, swerving fast to the left and pulling onto the side of the road.

I gripped the armrest and stared at Louis, my eyes wide. I was about to ask why the bloody hell he'd stopped so fast, but he quickly shushed me and turned the music up loud before slumping back against the seat with his eyes closed.

When the intro to the song – which was more piano – came through the speakers he smiled, and then the lyrics to the first verse sounded.

When I was in the third grade

I thought that I was gay

Because I could draw, my uncle was

And I kept my room straight

I told my mom, tears rushing down my face

She's like,

'Ben, you've loved girls since before pre-K'

Trippin'

I raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything, because Louis was clearly in some sort of peaceful state that required no interruptions. It took me a few more verses to realize that this song was about marriage equality, and when it got to the chorus, I knew just why Louis seemed to like the song so much.

And I can't change

Even if I tried

Even if I, wanted to

My love, my love, my love

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm

She keeps me warm

And what really made me like the song was the fact that a girl was singing the chorus.

Louis and I sat there for the five minutes and however many seconds that the song played. I took turns watching the cars speed passed us and admiring Louis. When it ended and another song started up, Louis hit the gas and we were on the road again.

"That's probably the best song I've ever heard," Louis sighed, smiling softly. I smiled back, turning the radio down some.

"You listen to it often?" I inquired, because I hadn't heard it before. But I really liked it. I'd heard of the singer, but I had no clue there was a song about something as important to me and marriage equality.

"No. Never heard it before just now."

I squinted at Louis, wondering why he'd made such a big deal over a song he didn't even know. He added onto his statement before I could ask, though.