Chapter twenty-one: Surprise

Louis:

   "Harry?" I moaned, feeling for the scarf that was around my eyes. I heard and felt the vibration of car doors slamming all around me, and then I felt the cold air rush in as one opened. "Harry," I repeated more sternly, holding back a yawn and shivering.

"I'm right here, Louis," Harry's voice sounded, and his hand darted out and patted at my stomach. I reached out to him blindly, and he grasped my hand with a laugh. "Now, are you sure you've packed everything?"

I scoffed. "I don't know where we're going, Haz," I whined, "but I packed enough clothes for the weekend. Where are we even going? Can I take my blindfold off? We're not even moving!"

"We're about to. Sit tight."

I whimpered, lying down in the cushioned car seat and wrapping my arms around myself. I had been woken up to Harry literally pulling me out of my bed, and without any explanation, I'd been told to pack my things. When I'd gotten into the living room I'd spotted Gemma, who was leaning patiently against the wall with a tie in her hand. All in about thirty seconds, my bag had been taken from me and the tie had been wrapped tightly around my eyes. And now I was in the back of a car, freezing my arse off.

"Alright, sweetheart, we're leaving now," Harry said fondly. The car shifted as he got in, and I sat up. I slid over and felt for his head, wrapping my arms around his neck once I'd found him in the passenger's seat.

"Are we ready, losers?" Gemma laughed, and she climbed in the driver's seat. She started the car and then we were off. "We've got a long drive."

"Where are we going, Gem?" I squeaked, hoping she would tell me. Gemma and I were on very friendly terms now. This was about the third time she'd insulted me this morning, but I knew it was only as a joke. We already had a sort of brother-sister relationship.

"I can't...tell you," Gemma responded hesitantly. "Sorry, Lou, Haz here won't let me."

"Don't call me that," Harry snapped. I felt his lips press to my wrist. "It's alright, Louis. Go back to sleep or something. It's early."

"It's so early," I repeated, leaning my forehead on the back of the headrest. I wanted to sleep, but I needed answers. "You guys kidnapped me."

"For a great cause!" Harry interjected. I could practically hear the excitement in his voice. "We had to get up early in order to get where we're going in time."

I touched the corner of my blindfold. "Well...can't I take this off?" I inquired. "It's irritating me. How long will it take to get there – I don't need this on for the entire ride, do I?"

"It's about a four hour drive. You do need it." Harry sighed, probably ticked off at my constant questions. "It's just in case you start recognizing things," he explained. "It would ruin the surprise if that were to happen."

"I don't like surprises!" I groaned, releasing Harry's head and slumping back against the seat. I tossed and turned just to annoy Harry and Gemma; to let them know that I didn't like this idea. "Alright...give me a hint, at least. Just one hint."

"It's very exciting," Harry chuckled. I grunted in protest. That wasn't a hint at all. "C'mon, Lou. Be a big boy. This is fun. It's like a road trip."

"I am a big boy, thank you very much," I grumbled. "And it's not very fun. Nor is it like a road trip. I'm blinded with a tie that smells like shampoo."

"Yes, well–"

"Let's play the quiet game!" Gemma suggested loudly. She had an irritated edge in her voice, which I took pride in. If I wasn't happy, she wasn't going to be, either. "Whoever speaks first buys me lunch!"