Chapter one: My Green-eyed Nightmare

Louis:

   I didn't ask to be this way. In all honesty, who would? Who would want to be bullied constantly, to the point of wanting to die? Who would want to be alone all the time, with literally just one person who cared at least a little bit?

I was gay. This was my, quote-unquote, problem. If I wasn't, maybe I could get along with the guys in school. Maybe I would be liked by people. That wasn't the case though, and I understood that it would never be the case.

I still didn't understand why everyone hated me. I knew that I preferred guys since primary school, but I didn't get why that was such a bad thing. I dressed enough like a male; I acted enough like one - what was the big deal?

That went for my family, too. I didn't stay 'in the closet' for long. As soon as I'd told my mum, it was like I was a criminal. She didn't want my sisters near me, which was incredibly rude. She even tried to beat it out of me; once. As soon as I was eligible to live on my own, I was kicked out of the house. My whole family had neglected me, and they still were. They just didn't accept me. That was fine; I barely accepted myself.

I remembered the day I'd found out my sexuality; at that stupid sleepover I'd attended when I was nine:

"Louis, what about you?" Zayn, my best friend at the time, asked, wiggling his eyebrows. This interrogation had been going on for quite a bit; the dark-haired boy had been asking each of his friends in turn who they had a crush on.

I shifted in my spot on the carpeted floor, glancing at each of my friends. Niall and Liam were gathered around me, along with Zayn, eyes wide with curiosity. My eyes lingered on Liam, at his fluffy brown hair and chocolate-brown eyes. I always got nervous around him; he was just so great. I'd met him this year, and immediately taken a liking to him.

Niall slapped my arm, causing me to snap out of my thoughts. "C'mon, mate!" he giggled, sweeping his blonde hair out of his face. "Tick-tock! Who do you fancy?"

I chewed my lip, and everything spilled before I could really think about it. I laughed nervously. "U-um, Liam's really adorable," I mumbled.

All of the laughter died down, and the giddy faces were soon replaced with disgusted ones. Zayn blinked a few times and turned his head to the side. "You fancy Liam? The dude? That's nasty!"

I frowned, the blush spreading onto my cheeks. "What - how?" I demanded. At the time, I didn't get that there was a difference between liking girls and liking guys. I looked towards Liam desperately, who was busy scooting back away from me like I was a disease.

"Ew, just...call your mum or something! You should go home; my mum wouldn't want you here." Zayn had a deep, disapproving frown on his face.

I shakily got up, crushed by my friends' behavior. Why were they acting like this? "Wh-what's wrong with me?" I asked them, because I sure didn't know. "I just told you who I liked. You guys did the same."

"Guys don't like guys! You're gay!" Liam shouted, and he was on his feet and pushing me out of the bedroom. "Go call your mum! We don't want you here, either!"

I hung my head, retrieving my things as they were thrown out along with me. I trudged downstairs and to the living room phone. I sadly called my mother, telling her to pick me up.

I hung up a moment later, only to find Niall waiting behind me. He wore an expression of pity. "I'm sorry, lad," he whispered. "Want me to wait for your mum with you?"

I pushed my hair out of my face, surprised. I was on the verge of tears, and my voice shook when I spoke. "Y-you don't hate me?"

A small smile tugged at the Irish boy's lips. "Of course not." He pointed at himself. "Just don't start to fancy me; I'm getting a girlfriend soon!"