Chapter twenty-four: I Just Want To Say Thank You (Mature!)

Harry:

   When Gemma came by to pick us up at seven o'clock that Sunday, Louis spent several minutes hugging each of his sisters, promising that he'd be back in exactly five days. When he went to hug his mum, she pushed a stack of pictures into his hands and gave him a kiss on the forehead. Louis looked down and grinned – they were recent pictures of his sisters.

An hour had gone by since Gemma picked us up, and Louis was still staring at his pictures with the same ecstatic smile on his face. He had about thirty of them – all of his sisters from all ages and doing all sorts of things.

He kept showing them to me while I was trying to take a nap, nudging my shoulder and thrusting a different picture in my face every three minutes.

"Look at this one!" Louis shrieked, pointing frantically at a picture of him covered in sloppily-applied makeup. "I remember it. My cousins were over and they wanted to give me a makeover." He chuckled, gently placing the photo back in his lap with the others. "We should let my sisters do that to us next weekend," he mumbled.

I raised my eyebrows, taking his hand. We were both seated in the back, him now leaning against my shoulder. "Are you sure you want me to come with you next weekend? Don't you think you should be with them without having to worry about me?"

Louis shook his head, looking as if my suggestion was absurd. "Of course I want you to come! You're...like...part of the family too, now."

I smiled. It seemed like Louis was stuck on the whole family idea since we'd gone to the park earlier that day. When he'd spotted the two men and the little girl who was with them, it was like Louis had fallen in love with the thought. He admired it, and I admired him, and I was more than willing, and excited, to maybe start my own family with him in the future.

Gemma eyed the two of us carefully from the front seat, via rearview mirror. She didn't comment on anything, which was strange of her, but I took it.

When we finally rolled into Louis' apartment complex two hours later, Louis placed a sleepy hand on my thigh. He'd been asleep for half an hour, and had now only been awake for a few minutes. "Stay tonight?" he mumbled, blinking slowly.

I nodded, gazing up at Gemma as she pulled up in front of apartment 103. She parked on the curb, unlocking the doors and allowing Louis to climb out and retrieve his things from the trunk.

"I'm going to stay the night here," I told Gemma, slowly starting to get out as well. She looked as if she was about to protest. "I'll be at school tomorrow, I promise. You can have Mum call the attendance office, too."

Gemma sighed but nodded. "Alright; I'll see you tomorrow. Don't do anything stupid."

Louis handed me my suitcase and smiled genuinely at Gemma, rubbing his eye with his fist. "Thanks for driving us, Gem. It means a lot. I'll be sure to take my car next time."

Gemma chuckled, said goodbye, and pulled out from the curb, and as soon as she left the complex, Louis took my wrist and hauled me to his front door. He opened it and stepped inside, becoming engulfed by the darkness of the flat.

I followed him in, setting my bag against the wall and pulling my shoes off. I searched for a light switch and flicked it on before heading to the kitchen. I watched Louis as he teetered around the living room, putting all of his new pictures on any and every flat surface.

"I'll be right back," he said five minutes later with a grin, taking off up the stairs. I smiled and filled a kettle with water before placing it on the stove. I leaned against the counter and waited for Louis, and when he came down, he had one last picture in his hand.