Chapter eleven: Alone

Louis:

   I didn’t expect to see Harry in the schoolyard, but something still told me to wait for him. I figured he was embarrassed – I was too. I was just terrified that Harry might not want to be near me anymore. I didn’t know what I was going to do. Hell, maybe I would snap. I just didn’t know how I could function without Harry.

I leaned against the Oak tree in the middle of the school’s front lawn, pulling my beanie down on my head. I pulled all of the crumpled up notes out of my pocket. I’d found them before the last period of the day; they’d been pushed through the little slits in my locker. I hadn’t had time to read them.

I unraveled one of the notes – one out of the estimated ten. The print was written in scrawny handwriting, barely legible.

How ya doing, Faggot?! Still no friends yet?! It’s all good! Move away and save everyone the trouble! Oh! Better yet, why don’t you safe yourself the trouble and just DIE?!

I rolled my eyes, shoving the entire handful back into my pocket. The other notes were going to be just like it; why bother with getting worked up?

“Mate! Let’s go!” Niall shouted, and my thoughts on the note quickly left my mind. I barely had time to look up before Niall was pulling me away from my tree. I stopped him, tilting my head to the side.

“What? Why? I’m not in any rush, Niall,” I said quietly, pulling his hand from my arm and backing up. “What’s wrong?”

Niall flashed a smile, his fingers slowly wrapping around my wrist and tugging me again. “Nothing, lad. Let’s just go.” His eyes flitted over to the entrance of the school. “Who’re you waiting up on, anyway?”

I looked down and blushed. “I was just seeing if Harry would come…” I shrugged. “Guess not.”

I glanced at Niall’s face and frowned. He looked angry. His face was pinched up, his eyebrows wound tightly together. I was actually sort of shocked. All I ever saw from Niall was his happy-go-lucky self, or his I-feel-sorry-for-you-Lou side.

“Louis, can we go?” Niall prodded, grinding his teeth together. “Like, now? I don’t think he’s coming.”

I nodded and pressed my lips together; stepping off the grass and starting my trek home on the sidewalk. Niall followed suit. “Why are you in such a hurry to leave?”

Niall shrugged his shoulders lazily, rolling his eyes. “No real reason,” he lied. He stumbled over his next words. “I-I just…thought that there wasn’t…wasn’t any point in staying.” He placed his hands in his pockets. “Louis…maybe the whole thing with Harry…getting close to him…” His voice dropped down to a low whisper. “God, I thought…maybe–”

I frowned, raking my fingers through my mop of hair. “Hold up. You don’t think I should’ve gotten on with him? Why…?” I furrowed my eyebrows. “It was just a kiss, though. D-did he say anything to you? Is he mad at me?”

“I don’t…It’s not that…maybe you shouldn’t have started fancying him…” He glanced up at me sadly.

“Niall! You made me repeat myself just last night about fancying him! How’re you going to tell me to stop?” I narrowed my eyes at him. He shook his head and opened his mouth, but I spoke over him. “That isn’t fair! How can you even stop fancying someone?”

“But…Lou–”

“What the hell, Ni! How can you just throw that–”

“Whatever! Just forget I said anything! Forget it, Louis! Sorry I even bothered.”