Chapter 57

Charlotte's POV

I sat on the bed waiting. Waiting for my doctor, waiting for Matt, trying to keep calm, but I was excited, I couldn't help it. Finally I was going home and I couldn't wait.

"You almost ready?" Bronwyn, my favourite nurse asked walking in.

I nodded, smiling. "I am more than ready."

"You know what Charlotte." She said, shuffling some paperwork. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you." And I meant it.

"Maybe we can catch up." She suggested. "But not here, I don't ever want to see you here again."

"Good, because I don't plan on coming back." I told her. "But give me your number so we can catch up."

She smiled and nodded as the door opened again and the doctor walked in. "Good news." He said smiling. "Your bloods look great, I've got all of your medications ready so you can go."

I wanted to jump up and down and scream, but I didn't, partly because I didn't want to embarrass myself and partly because I was still pretty weak. I'd lost so much condition, I had little energy and I was hoping getting home would help, help me get better, help me put some weight back on.

"So." He continued on. "I'll see you in my surgery on Friday."

I smiled and nodded. Yes I had to see him very second day, but I was getting to go home and that's what I'd been working on achieving for so long. "I'll see you on Friday." I told him, hugging him before he turned and left.

"So?" Bronwyn said smiling. "Where's Matt?" And as if on cue, the door burst open and he came in, looking flustered.

"Well?" He asked, looking between Bronwyn and I.

I looked down at my hands as Bronwyn shook her head. "I'm sorry Matt." She said softly.

"Seriously." He groaned. "Are you serious."

"I'm serious Matt." Bronwyn continued. "I'm sorry that you're going to have to put up with her at home, she's your problem now not mine."

And I looked up to see Matt smiling. "Really?" He asked and I nodded, grinning.

He walked over to me, hugging me. "Well let's go." He murmured, kissing my forehead.

I stood up, glancing around the room. I'd spent so long here but I certainly wasn't going to miss it.

"Right." Matt said, getting everyone organised. "I'll take your stuff to the car and I'll meet you out the front." He said kissing me quickly.

I smiled watching him gather up my stuff. I was glad he was as excited as I was. I couldn't wait to get home. He kissed me quickly, exiting the room.

"Well." Bronwyn said, turning to me. "Are you ready to leave this room?"

I was more than ready. "Hell yes." I said following her out.

Most of the nurses I'd grown used to were there and I spent some time saying goodbye to each one. They'd done so much for me and I'd be eternally grateful for that. Finally I sat in the wheelchair and Bronwyn wheeled me to the elevator and as it descended I felt the excitement in my stomach. I was actually going home.

Matt was waiting out the front as promised and as Bronwyn wheeled me out he was looking extremely impatient.

"Finally." He exclaimed, helping me out of the chair.

"So impatient."

"I am." He smiled. "I just want you home." And he leant over, kissing me softly.

I said goodbye to Bronwyn and we exchanged numbers before Matt helped me into the car and I smiled as he got in, starting it.

"Ready?"

"I am so ready." I told him.

He leant over, kissing me. "Me too Charlotte." He murmured.

He reached over and held my hand on the drive and I stared out the window, taking everything in, it had been so long since I'd been outside and so much had changed, so much was different.

"Home sweet home." Matt said as we pulled into the drive of his house and I smiled, looking out the windshield at the house. "I moved everything in last week." He told me. "But this is our house now okay?"

I smiled nodding. Yes it was our house.

We'd mutually agreed that I would move into Matt's house and eventually we were planning on buying our own house together, but for now, this was home and I loved it.

He helped me out of the car and inside, sitting me on the couch, sitting next to me and pulling me into his arm's.

"You're home baby." He murmured, stroking my cheek.

I smiled up at him, nodding. "I am."

He pulled me to his chest, holding me tightly and I closed my eye's, enjoying the closeness.

"Sometimes." He whispered. "I wondered if we'd ever be like this again."

I pulled back slightly, looking up at him. "I know." I whispered.

"I thought I was going to lose you Charlotte." He murmured.

"But you didn't." I whispered. "And now we're here, together."

"We are." He murmured and I closed my eye's as he kissed. "Now, you relax and I'll get lunch." He said smiling. "Let me take care of you."

"Matt." I murmured.

"No Charlotte." He said softly. "I want to take care of you, let me."

I nodded, putting my head on his chest. "I love you." I whispered, and I did, so much.

"Good." He said, kissing my forehead. "Because I love you and now, now we can start our future."

I smiled, holding onto him tightly. He was right, today we could start our future and damn, I was really looking forward to it.