Chapter 16

Matt's POV

I walked into the kitchen. "Have you seen my car keys?"
"Over there." Monique pointed. "I'm making dinner Matthew, where are you going?"
"Charlottes." I told her, grabbing my keys.
"Charlottes?" She asked. "What for?"
I looked at her. "She hasn't been well, I just wanted to see how she is."
"She looked fine last night and besides I'm not well, I'm getting one of my headaches again."
"I'll see you later." I said walking out. I didn't want to listen to her bullshit.
I got in my car heading over to Charlottes, she'd been on my mind all day, I knew something was going on, I just wasn't sure what.
I pulled up at her house and I wondered if I was doing the right thing, showing up here unannounced.
I knocked on the door and waited, it finally opened to reveal a very stressed looking Elizabeth.
"Matt, what are you doing here?"
"I just dropped by to see Charlotte."
Elizabeth glanced over her shoulder. "Now is not a good time."
"It's the perfect time."
"Who is it?" Charlotte called, I could hear tears in her voice.
"Matt." Elizabeth whispered. "Don't do this, go back to your fiancé."
"Go back to your husband." I told her pushing past her. "And besides I'm not doing anything."
I walked into the living room. Charlotte was laying on the couch and clearly she'd been crying.
"Hey." I said smiling.
"Oh Matt, hi." She said smiling brightly.
It was clear to me that no matter what was going on with Charlotte she would always have a smile for everybody.
"What are you up to?" I asked.
"I'm trying to get her to eat something." Elizabeth said.
Charlotte shook her head. "I can't." She said softly, shifting position on the couch. She was in pain, I could see it on her face.
"I'll get you something light." I told her. "And maybe you should go home." I told Elizabeth, heading into the kitchen.
"Matt." She hissed, following me. "I can't leave her."
"Clearly I don't know what's going on Elizabeth." I told her, grabbing a loaf of bread. "But you're tired, I can see that, so go home, I'll stay here, make sure she eats and make sure she gets to bed."
"Matt, what are you doing?"
"Getting Charlotte something to eat."
"Fine." She sighed. "But don't push her."
"Elizabeth." I snapped.
"Okay okay. I'll see you later."
I listened to Elizabeth say bye while I made some toast and when I took it in Elizabeth had left.
"Eat this." I said handing her a cup of tea and some toast. "I saw that lasagne in the fridge."
"Help yourself." She told me smiling.
I went back out and by the time I'd heated it up and come back in Charlotte had put her toast, with about two bites gone, onto the coffee table. I didn't say anything, I just sat there watching the television, eating.
"You okay?" I asked her after I'd cleaned up.
She smiled and nodded, laying down, putting her head on my lap, still wrapped in a blanket.
I sat there, watching the television, ignoring my phone that was vibrating constantly in my pocket.
I got sick of it and reached down to get it out of my pocket. Charlotte was asleep and I gently pulled out my phone that had a hundred missed calls from Monique. I dropped it on the ground and looked down at Charlotte. She was sound asleep, so I could really look at her. She looked exhausted and I couldn't help but be worried for her, I really wished I knew what was going on. I reached down and gently brushed her hair off her face, smiling. She was breathtaking to me, why had I only noticed now?
This was bad, very bad. I was engaged, I shouldn't be here.
"Hey." I whispered in her ear.
She opened her eye's, reaching up and rubbing her eyes. "I fell asleep." She whispered.
I couldn't answer her, when she'd rubbed her face I'd seen her hand, it was black, so badly bruised.
"Sorry Matt." She said sitting up.
She grimaced as she did it.
"Go to bed Charlotte, I'll help you."
"Don't be silly, I'm fine." She said standing up.
She was lying, she wasn't fine and as I drove home it bothered me, it bothered so much. Something was wrong with Charlotte, something bad.
As I layed in bed, as Monique tried to have sex with me, as I rebuffed her adavances, I got a terrible feeling in my stomach, a horrible feeling that I was going to lose Charlotte before I even had her.