Chapter 22

Matt's POV

I was glad Monique was at work because I didn't have to explain where I was going and why I was going. I didn't have to pick Charlotte up for an hour but I was ready now so I decided to head over.
I knocked on her door and waited, finally she opened it and she looked a mess.
"Oh Matt you're early." She said, looking confused.
Her hair was a mess and she appeared to be half dressed, a pair of jeans and a pyjama shirt.
"Just a bit." I said, trying to sound chirpy.
"Um." She said, staring at the wall and rubbing her head.
"Charlotte." I said softly. "It's okay."
She looked at me. "I'm sorry."
"Don't apologise, just finish getting ready."
"Yes you're right. Get ready." She mumbled walking away.
I sat down on the couch, waiting, but after about twenty minutes I got up and found Charlotte in the bathroom.
"I just can't get my hair right." She cried at me.
"Leave it down, it's nice down."
She nodded, running her brush through it. "Well I guess I'm ready."
I hugged her. "It will be fine."
She nodded against my chest then pulled away. "Let's go."
I followed her out and opened the car door for her. Needless to say the trip was quiet, Charlotte wasn't speaking and I just couldn't think of anything adequate to say.
We arrived at her Specialist and I sat down while Charlotte checked in, letting them know she was here.
I smiled at her as she sat down next to me and took her hand, squeezing it.
"Thanks for all of this Matt." She said softly. "I really do appreciate it."
"Anytime." I murmured.
"Charlotte honey." A lady said, sticking her head out if a door.
Charlotte stood up and I stood up with her, following, still holding her hand.
We entered an office and sat down and eventually the doctor came in.
"Charlotte." He said sitting down.
"Dr Long, this is my friend Matt."
"Nice to meet you." He said shaking my hand.
Friend.
"Charlotte." He sighed and I felt her grip tighten on my hand. "It's what we thought."
Her shoulders sagged and I felt sick. Everything was quite.
"What now?" She asked softly.
"Treatment."
"Not the cytotoxics." She told him.
The first thing I needed to do was research.
"No, we'll try the targeted therapy first. We'll do the injection because I know you're capable."
She nodded. "Then what?"
"We'll worry about that if this doesn't work." He told her. "I'll get everything organised."
He got up and left and I looked at Charlotte. "You okay?"
What a stupid fucking question Matt, of course she wasn't.
"Just disappointed." She whispered. "I don't know if I can fight this time."
I groaned and rubbed my hand over my face. "Of course you do, I'll fight with you."
She rewarded me with a smile and for the first time I saw hope in her eyes.
"Thankyou so much." She said, a tear sliding down her cheek. "I always wanted an older brother."
I smiled at her nodding.
An older brother. I didn't want to be her older brother, I wanted to be her everything.