Chapter 25

Matt's POV

I looked at her sleeping. She looked so peaceful. You never would have guessed that her body was fighting a war with itself, well you wouldn't guess until you saw her bruises. They weren't so bad, they were just there, bruises from life I'd guess, things that didn't bruise normal people.
I ran my hand gently down her arm, her skin was so soft, so beautiful, even the bruises.
I let myself study her face. It was perfect and while she slept it was relaxed. I looked at her lips, they were slightly parted, she was breathing evenly in her sleep.
Don't do it, a voice whispered in my head, but it was too late, I brushed my lips across hers. She didn't move, but something in me moved and I closed my eye's.
What was I doing? I was engaged to marry someone I thought was my soul mate, someone I thought I would love for the rest of my life, but now, now I didn't know.
I'd known Charlotte as long as I'd known Monique, so why now, why was I drawn to Charlotte now?
Was I willing to give up my relationship with Monique for this, for a moment with Charlotte, a girl who only saw me as a brother figure, a girl who might die.
I felt my chest tighten at that thought. She really might die and that thought hurt, alot. I tightened my arms around her, pulling her closer.
Fuck me, what a mess. If Elizabeth knew any of this she'd fucking kill me. Hell Holly had said she was going to bust my balls.
I sat up, not disturbing Charlotte. I grabbed my phone and looked at it. Missed calls from Monique.
I went into the living room, calling her back.
"Matt." She answered.
"Hey."
"Where are you?" She asked.
"Charlottes."
"Oh." She went quiet.
I closed my eye's, telling myself I'd created such a fucking mess.
"Are you sleeping with her Matt?" She blurted.
"What, no, no I'm not."
"Okay." She said softly. "Are you coming home?"
"I'll be there soon." I told her.
She hung up and I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a pen and paper.
Charlotte,
I hope you feel better. Sorry I had to leave.
I'll try and catch up with you on the weekend.
Matt
I closed my eye's. It sounded horrible. I didn't want to leave now, I didn't want to leave at all, but I had to. I needed to sort my head out, but more importantly I needed to sort my heart out.
I wanted to make sure what I was feeling was real. For Moniques sake, for my sake but more importantly Charlottes sake.
I got in my car and drove away, making it to the intersection and the end of her street, before pulling over and leaning back, closing my eyes.
I missed her. I missed Charlotte already.