Chapter 50

Charlotte's POV

A door opening woke me up and I opened my eye's. It was light, the sun was up and I felt vague, confused.

"Good morning blossom." Someone chirped and I looked over to see a nurse carrying a breakfast tray. "I have something easy for you to eat, yesterday was a bit of a wipe out, so today you need to eat."

My stomach flipped and I licked my lips. They were dry, cracked. "I can't." I croaked.

"Charlotte, honey today is Day 1 post transplant, time to work on getting you better. Now do you need the bathroom?"

I nodded, I did, I desperately wanted to clean myself up a little.

The nurse, who's name was  Bronwyn helped me in the bathroom, and I was kind of hoping it would make me feel better but it didn't.

"So I lost yesterday." I said, getting back onto my bed. "I slept through the whole day?"

"You did." She said, moving my pillows. "But you need rest Charlotte, you know it's still a battle from here."

I nodded, it was always a battle. "Did anyone come?"

She smiled. "That handsome boyfriend of yours, he was here most of the day." She explained. "We may have broken the rules and let him stay a little longer than normal, but shush, don't tell anyone."

I smiled, I missed not seeing Matt, I really did. "And my sister, how is she doing?"

Her brow furrowed. "Oh, I'm not sure sweety, I'd have to check."

"Can you please, I'd like to know."

"Just you eat." She said quickly, turning and leaving.

I looked at the food. I couldn't eat it, not only did I feel sick, but my mouth, the ulcers were still so bad, I couldn't eat at all.

There were some eggs on the tray so I ate a little of that, I needed to eat to get better and I wanted to get better, I really did.

A different nurse came in to collect my tray and she looked disapprovingly at me when she saw my tray, but at least she spared me from a lecture.

I layed back, resting up. I was determined to make a good recovery, I know I would be here far at least a month but I was determined to make it home by the end of that month, no complications, no problems.

I closed my eye's again and I must have fallen asleep because the door woke me again and I looked up and felt the little flutter in my chest. It was Matt, and even under all that crap he had to wear he still made my tummy feel funny.

"Hi." I whispered, smiling at him.

"Charlotte." He murmured sitting in the chair that was in the room.

"I missed yesterday."

"You did." He said looking at his hands. He looked so uninterested in me and I started to feel worried.

"Did I miss anything?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

He shook his head. "Nope."

Nope. That was it. I was about to ask him how Elizabeth was when the door opened and my mother and father walked in.

"You told my parents?" I asked him. Elizabeth and I were trying so hard to keep this from them but he just looked at me and shook his head.

"Charlotte honey." Mom said walking to the side of my bed. "How do you feel baby girl?"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Dad asked.

"Elizabeth and I didn't want you to worry." But here they were, worrying. "How is Elizabeth, have you seen her?"

"Oh Charlotte." Mom said softly and I looked at her, she was crying.

Matt looked down at his feet and dad cleared his throat. "Ah Charlotte, your sister....well there was a complication and well your sister....Elizabeth......."

I didn't listen to the rest. My chest began to feel tight and there was a horrible buzzing in my ears.

"Please leave." I said putting my hands over my ears. "Please stop and just leave."

"Charlotte." Mom said crying softly.

I shook my head. "No, no. I don't believe you. I'm the one who's supposed to die not her."

"No." Matt said. "No you're not, don't ever say that."

I looked at him, he could say what he wanted, but that was the truth.

"Please, just leave me." I cried.

Dad nodded, grabbing mom's hand. "We'll be back later." He told me, but I hoped they wouldn't be.

"Charlotte." Matt said softly once the door had shut.

"Please." I said not looking at him. "Please just leave."

"I can't leave you." He whispered.

"Please." I sobbed, I was losing control.

"Only for a minute." He said, standing up.

I waited until the door shut then I let my grief engulf me. How was I still alive when my perfectly healthy sister was dead? All she was doing was trying to help me and now look, she was gone but I was here. And what did I have to live for? Nothing, Elizabeth was dead so now I had nothing to live for.

I rolled over onto my side and felt my central line pull. I reached my hand up, touching it. All I would have to do was pull on it, pull it out, I'd probably be dead before the nurses even realised, it would be easy.

I closed my eye's and Matt came to mind. I wanted to live for him, I'd done all of this for him, but now he hated me because I'd killed Elizabeth, and Zack, what must he think?

I had nothing left. This disease had taken everything. My health, my looks and now the two people I loved most in the world.

I just wished I was dead.