Chapter 56

Matt's POV

I really wished the court would hurry up. It was horrible sitting in this room, listening to Charlotte's father go off and listening to Charlotte cry. She'd been through enough and she really shouldn't have had to put up with this too. I was constantly worried about her, I just wanted her to get well, she didn't need any set backs, but I was with her now and I wasn't planning on leaving in a hurry.

"I just wish he would stop." Charlotte whispered. "Stop all of it."

"I know." I murmured, pulling her closer. "It's okay."

She nodded and closed her eye's. I leant down and kissed her softly, now that she had taken my mask off, I couldn't help but kiss her.

I wanted her to get some rest. We still had a long way to go and this extra stress wasn't helping her, not one little bit.

"Sleep." I murmured and she nodded her head slightly while I pulled her closer to my chest. She was still on my lap and this was where we were going to stay.

"I can't wait to go home." She whispered and I smiled, the fact that she was talking about going home made me feel so good.

"I can't wait either." I murmured.

"I want to sleep in my own bed Matt." She whispered. "I want to get up when I want to, I want to go outside when I want to, I can eat what I want when I want to, including you."

"Stop it." I said smiling and she opened her eye's and smiled at me.

"It's true."

"I know." I said kissing her gain. "Trust me Charlotte, I know."

She smiled, closing her eye's again and I let her sleep, watching her, until a knock at the door interrupted me.

A nurse entered. "Lunch." She smiled. "And finally this." She said holding up and official looking envelope and handing to me.

"Hey." I whispered to Charlotte. "Lunch."

She opened her eye's, looking confused and I kissed her forehead before placing her back on the bed. "Eat." I whispered.

She nodded, looking at the tray. I had to admit, it didn't look appertising but I was happy when she started to eat it.

I looked at the envelope and opened it carefully. It was what we were hoping for. The restraining order had been lifted and the charges against me dropped.

"Look." I said showing Charlotte and I watched her read it, her face lighting up.

"I'm glad." She said softly, taking another mouthful of the soup and grimacing. "Now, you can stay."

"Charlotte." I sighed. "I was staying anyway."

"Matt, you've been so good to me. You've put everything on hold for this, for me and I don't know how I'll ever be able to thank you."

"Just get better and come home." I told her softly and she nodded, smiling. "Should I go speak to your parents?"

She frowned. "I don't know."

I stood up, it was the decent thing to do. "I'll be back." I told her, kissing her softly and heading to the door. Damn, that soup tasted fucking horrible.

I opened the door, stepping out and everyone, including Charlotte's parents looked at me. Her dad opened his mouth but before he could say anything I handed the court papers to him.

"I see." He said after reading them.

"Look." I told him. "I've supported Charlotte from the beginning and I'll continue to support her for the rest of our lives, I'm afraid that you're going to have to get used to me being around."

Her mother smiled, but her father frowned. "That doesn't mean I have to like it." He said shortly.

"No it doesn't." I told him. "But it would be easier on Charlotte if you did."

"Well." Charlottes mom said, interrupting. "I think it's wonderful, everything you've done for her Matthew, it's wonderful and I think you're a very special person."

"Thanks." I said softly. "But it's your daughter who is the special one."

"Are you coming tomorrow?" Her father asked gruffly, changing the subject.

"I'm not sure, it depends on Charlotte."

"Yes well, we have to go, we have stuff to organise, but tell Charlotte we'll be back later to visit." And with that he walked off.

I'd tried, and hopefully he'd come around to liking me eventually. I needed to ask Zack if he ever had problems with him, although I was sure he did.

I gowned back up and went back into the room, Charlotte was still attempting to finish everything that was on her tray.

"How did it go?" She asked, having a mouthful of jelly.

I smiled, already she was beginning to look better. "Eh, it could have gone better."

She shrugged. "I guess."

"They said they'll be back later, they have a few thinks to organise." And I let my voice trail off as Charlotte's faced crumpled.

"Poor Elizabeth." She whispered, tears starting to fall. "She's my sister and I can't even say goodbye."

"Ugh Char." I murmured, sitting on the bed and pulling her into my arm's. "When you get better, we can say goodbye together."

She nodded against my chest and I just held her, letting her cry. She needed to get it out and I would let her.

Later once she was settled on my lap again and sleeping I started thinking. I needed to go and buy her an engagement ring, I mean I'd told her I wanted to marry her so I guess I needed to make it official.

For a moment I felt guilty. My life with Charlotte was just beginning and one of my best friends had just lost his wife. Life was harsh. How did any of us end up here? 

I looked at Charlotte sleeping. I was one of the lucky ones. I'd found my soul mate and I wasn't letting her go for anything.